430 restore

/ 430 restore #1  

430 Ed

Tractor
John Deere 4440, 430, B, G
I restoring a John Deere 430 tractor and pulled the head today. I discovered a small area in cylinder # 2 that is pitted, motor may have been stuck before I go it, don't know. Is this cause to split the tractor and bore the block. Mi original intent was to install new rings and bearings and reassemble.

Ed

/ 430 restore #2  
Welcome to Tractor By net.

Does the tractor currently run. If so how well?
If the cylinder isn't pitted to bad, you could probably get away with de-glazing the cylinder and installing the new rings.

Do you have any pictures of the tractor and the pitted area in the cylinder?

/ 430 restore
I had 40 lbs compression in the cylinder with pitting. I'm not sure what specs call for compression to be. The other cylinder had 60lbs. Taking pics and will send in a few when I learn how to do it.

/ 430 restore
The tractor ran when I got it. The compression difference was one thing that encouraged me to take the head off and replace the rings and bearings.

/ 430 restore #5  
I think the specs would probably call for about 100psi-150psi. How are the valves. Are they seating properly?

/ 430 restore
I don't know if the valve receiving properly; however might b a good idea to install new seats. I haven't found in the book the spec for how much compression the motor should have. Still to get a pic on here of the cylinder

/ 430 restore #7  
I restoring a John Deere 430 tractor and pulled the head today. I discovered a small area in cylinder # 2 that is pitted, motor may have been stuck before I go it, don't know. Is this cause to split the tractor and bore the block. Mi original intent was to install new rings and bearings and reassemble.

Ed

To obtain all the torque,clearance and other specs. The operator's and service manual from 1-800-522-7448 is required. The parts book for everything JD is online on the JD site. Have you measured the bore for Ida and run out at top, middle and bottom? Even if the cam and followers eyeball ok, there is no way they can be 52+ years old and not need resurfacing. Factory compression is low, a set of LP pistons will perk up the engine and run on pump gas.