JD 6410,238 hrs,power reverser not working

/ JD 6410,238 hrs,power reverser not working #1  

atc007

Tractor
jd 6410,3255,2950,2940,lots of Masseys : )
Plastic is still on the seat,not ripped. 2nd time this tractor has left us sit! JD 110 saved me the 1st time,and ,,,,,,I"M BACK ! So,I've done some research,this is a 2001. I know the older switches had a spring in them that would break. I Guess mine being newer it's electric? It quit dead. Idling waiting for my son to wrap a log w a chain. It has never given ANY troubles,,not heating up,,IE,,working good cold then heating up.. NONE of that. Anyhow,,there are ZERO codes{ put 115 in ,used turn signal} No codes. Here's the thing. When I use the reverser,I here it clicking in the fuse/relay box. My thinking is ,,the reverser is working,,because I here it " sending " or trying over in the relay box. My local dealer says it is PROBABLY the switch. I said I'm not ordering a $811 switch because you " THINK' thats what we need! So,,Am i on the right track,and can I OHM this switch or verify it's junk somehow? And rather you see this or not 110. THANK YOU again for ALL the help you provide.. It is TRULY a lifesaver!!:thumbsup:

/ JD 6410,238 hrs,power reverser not working #2  
WOW! an 11 year old tractor and only 238 hours!
Sounds like you have the power quad with left hand electric switched reverser.
NO codes makes it hard to diagnose
Can you confirm what relays are clicking?
K210 Reverse Relay?
K211 Forward Relay?
Does the relay click once, or chatter? Bad relay? Any you can swap?
If the relay is clicking in, I would check the connector to solinoid they power. You could disconnect the solinoid and use an ohm meter to check the continuity of the solinoid.
If the relays were NOT clicking I would think you have a switch problem or the park switch malfunctioned and the tractor thinks it's in park and will not move.

Since there are no codes to lose, I would try disconnecting the battery, waiting 10 minutes and reconnecting. This MAY reboot the reverser control unit.

/ JD 6410,238 hrs,power reverser not working
Thanx man! Well,,,I couldn't really confirm at the time I tried the exact relay. When it happened,,I did switch relays around. It clicks for and rev. No chatter,click. So heres the deal. The park hasn't worked for YEARS,out of adjustment,and we haven't looked at it. So,,Park switch IS my guess. Where is it and what am I looking for? Thanx for the reply!!

/ JD 6410,238 hrs,power reverser not working #4  
Park switch will be under the panel with your range, gear and throttle lever.
Might be easier to take the side panel off then the top panel, but not sure.
Switch is square with two nuts in opposite corners holding it on. Will have a "lever" towards the rear of the tractor. It will be on the bracket between the throttle and shifters. If you go to John Deere's online parts catalog for your tractor, look in section 40 electrical, then section 192 and you can see a picture of it. Part number AL113657 key #3.

Another relay to check is K212 NOT NEUTRAL RELAY also relay K213 LATCH RELAY.

Thanx for EVERYTHING! I will in this order tomorrow.Unhook battery. Check relays,and go from there unless I here otherwise. For the record....we have ,,ALL bought new,, 2940,2950,SGB,2950 260 SL Loader,3255, 6400 4x4 Cab,6910,and this HIDEOUS abomanation excuse for a tractor. We have Green blood,,but this thing has really disappointed to say the least. It was my Dads IRA,his life savings and this is what we ended up with.. ANYHOW!! Thanx for the help and open to anything else we can think of to check.

/ JD 6410,238 hrs,power reverser not working #6  
I don't want to sound like I doubt you, but it is extrmely rare not to have some rcu(reverser control unit) codes. Almost every one I check will have at least half a dozen or so and everything may be fine. There was alot of oppotunity to store codes on these when operating normally. When you installed diagnostic fuse and operated turn signal, did rcu display? When rcu is displayed, activate "flash to pass" to enter controller. Then cycle right turn signal once to go to rcu 01. Any codes should then be displayed. If rcu does not display, you could have blown fuse for controller or a broken wire. If you do find you have multiple codes, at the end of codes, "end" will be displayed. Cycle the hazard switch on and off while it is displayed to clear the codes. Then remove the diag fuse and try to operate the tractor. Then recheck codes to see what returns. If you really have no codes, zebrafives suggestions are a good place to start.

Thanx 110 ! It sure would be like me to have not looked up the codes right! I will check again! Will be working on it in a cpl hours and report right back here! Thanx AGAIN everyone!

Ok,I have turned key on W 115 in,turned key on w NO 115, THEN put it in. All the same results. 1st it says diagnosis,,nothing else. Turn Rt,says BIF,turn left ,says RCU. 4 ways on,,turn right says HCU, left= BCU. No codes that I san see. How would I get to " flash to pass".. OH,,pull back on the stalk,lever?? Just hit me!! I THINK the park switch is fine. When engaging and disengaging it,,I here a click in the For/ reverser. When trying to for or rev. Small relay 112? I believe the 2nd from rear bottom row. I'll go try flash to pass,,I think that is pulling the turn signal BACKWARDS!?? I'll go try that!

Ok,nothing at all.There is only one RCU on this. And that is as described above. turn on,L TSIG = rcu,but the Flash to pass does nothing. I tried it ALL 6 ways,center ,L ,R, With and without 4 ways on. I know,,they are supposed to be for clearing codes! I didn' t try them until all else had failed. I found 203 slot empty,thinking that was preventing rcu. That did nothing with a 1 amp back in there. { I had went thru these darn fuses a LOT last year!} But it has ran for a year w just the usual troubles. So,It's nothing in the fuse box. I'm at a loss. Operating back to normal,115 pulled. It is DEF clicking 212,POssibly 211,not 210. I really believe it is down below,tranny sloenoid? But ,I really want it to be simple! What should I do to try and get codes? I CAN get video if needed. PITA ,but will if I need too! Thanx again all!

/ JD 6410,238 hrs,power reverser not working #10  
Try and get error codes again.

Key OFF
Install fuse 115
Key ON Display should show --:dla
Move turn signal up once (right turn) hold until Display shows --rcu
Now "flash to pass" do not hold over 2 seconds Display should show 00 rcu
Move turn signal up once (right turn) Display should show 01 rcu
Error codes should display Display should show 01:XXX- 01:End XXX = Error code.