John deere 3020 pto problems

/ John deere 3020 pto problems #1  

Ohrenberg

Tractor
John Deere 3020
Hi, I am new to farms and tractors in general but I'm doing y best to learn. I have the general operations of my jd 3020 down however the pto is kinda spotty it'll work for a min then just stop working after the tractor hasbeen running awhile. I was trying to hook up the brushhog when engaging the pto it spun real slow barely turning the blades the. Quit working now the pto will spin freely by hand ? Any ideas on what I should do? Any help would be great

/ John deere 3020 pto problems #2  
What is the serial number below or above 123,000? Late model 3020's have hyd engaged pto while early models are manually engaged.

/ John deere 3020 pto problems
Where do I find the serial number? If I remember right there are serial numbers stamped on the ballast on the front of the tractor. Sorry for my lack of knowledge I'm learning as I go and am new to all of this.

/ John deere 3020 pto problems #4  
Where do I find the serial number? If I remember right there are serial numbers stamped on the ballast on the front of the tractor. Sorry for my lack of knowledge I'm learning as I go and am new to all of this.

SN tag will be on diff housing just to the right and up from pto shaft. Where are the hyd and 3pt control levers ? on the dash or beside the seat?

The controls are all to the left of the steering wheel 3levers on dash and the lever beside fast for pto

/ John deere 3020 pto problems #6  
I forgot to ask which type trans?? Syncro-Range(gear) or Powershift(semi-auto)?

So according to the tag by the pto it's a 3010?

image-135255244.jpg

The number on the tag is 29533

Oh it's synchro-range trans as well

/ John deere 3020 pto problems #10  
According to SN your tractor is a '62 3010. On 3010's JD only built Syncro-Range trans. Powershift trans weren't introduced until '65. Since it's a 3010 then the pto is very different. Has the pto stub shaft on the rear that bolts on with 4 bolts been removed or become loose?? Non working pto could be pressure plate fingers worn off or a bad throwout(actually engagement) brg(parts key #32) or worn pressure plate fingers. You can remove inspection plate on the bottom of clutch housing and look inside. Or problem could be farther inside trans(2nd photo) which would be a bent/broken tiny pin(parts key #27). I have seen the stub shaft removed and a penny(1cent coin)inserted in the hole to push a bent pin in enough to engage drive gear when stub shaft is reattached,

Attachments

• R5110__________UN01JAN94.gif
    R5110__________UN01JAN94.gif
    16 KB · Views: 2,660
  • RWP4895________UN01JAN94.gif
    RWP4895________UN01JAN94.gif
    36 KB · Views: 3,885
Last edited: