john deere 535 baler

/ john deere 535 baler #1  

crowman4086

Tractor
ford 7710
can you buy after market bearings for this baler or is it a strictly oem part. They have a hexigon shaft for bearing so may be a oem part. does anyone know

/ john deere 535 baler #2  
I have bought replacements at the local carquest before as long as it is not the bearing that goes in the flange that bolts on.This is a different bearing than the others & is oem only.

/ john deere 535 baler #3  
I have bought replacements at the local carquest before as long as it is not the bearing that goes in the flange that bolts on.This is a different bearing than the others & is oem only.

That is what JD want's people to believe. I've changed the brgs in the cast iron pillow block on my JD 467 which IIRC uses the same brg.

Attachments

• EP10081________UN30SEP99.gif
    EP10081________UN30SEP99.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 529
   / john deere 535 baler #4  
That is what JD want's people to believe. I've changed the brgs in the cast iron pillow block on my JD 467 which IIRC uses the same brg.

I took this bearing to the parts store & it could not be matched at the time.I tried more than one source also with no luck,granted this was a few years ago,you might be able to now.

/ john deere 535 baler #5  
The bearing can be easily matched as a single unit. The reason Deere does not offer it seperate has to do with the spherical seating of the bearing. It is then checked horizonaly, vertically, and twice diagnally for the fit. This mostly has to do with controlling high loads of rotational torque. That being said is it that critical on a 535, or even a higher bale count 8 series machine? But have seen a fair amount of premature failure from improper seating of the bearing into the housing. I am not saying that Deere is right here, or that the avg joe can not get it close enough. just giving their reasoning for this brg assy style. There is nothing worse than losing a baler to a fire let alone the tractor it is hooked up to.

/ john deere 535 baler #6  
motion industries can match a lot of jd bearings.they used to be cheaper but the last time i checked on one they were higher.

/ john deere 535 baler #7  
The bearing can be easily matched as a single unit. The reason Deere does not offer it seperate has to do with the spherical seating of the bearing.

I'm not a brg expert but can you explain what is different from changing the brg in the cast iron block and a flangette type? I'm aware that the cast block in question is marked "up".

/ john deere 535 baler #8  
When the bearing is spherically seated into the housing it is done under a specific amount of torque. That is the bearing is forcibly(sp?) turned inside the housing under that range. After is when it is verified to be mounted true in the housing. There are only a few instances where Deere does this. Drive rolls on Balers as well as some lower gate rolls and one of the upper idler rolls. Also used as a bearing on conditioner rolls for many mower conditioners. The thought is that when the pressure is that high a conventional seated bearing or a flangette bearing would not last as long. An example of where you would probably want to stick with the Deere seated version would be if you have more than 1/8 diff in diameter from top drive roll to bottom drive roll. Since they are driven off of the same chain the push/pul action is hard on all parts concerned. I have some where the old JD dealer release that explained a little more about how this bearing is seated. If I find it I will post.

/ john deere 535 baler #9  
I have changed several brgs in the cast iron brackets and baled many bales with no apparent early failure of the replacement brgs. I've been doing this for over 20 yrs running JD rd balers in a custom hay baling business. In fact my 467 has one in it now that I changed last year on the brg on the bottom rubber coated drive roller. I can't see much difference as the cast iron bracket and flangettes are both self centering. One of he reasons the cast iron bracket is marked up is so the notches to aid brg installation are on the sides and not in a load bearing area such as the bottom.

/ john deere 535 baler #10  
When the bearing is spherically seated into the housing it is done under a specific amount of torque. .

Can you enlighten me on what type of torque and how it's measured? All I do to replace a brg is tap the outside race at 90% to the cutouts to allow brg to turn and fall out of the bracket and then use a reverse procedure.