5403 won't fire

/ 5403 won't fire #1  

redka

Silver Member
cranks over, but won't fire up. Used the tractor yesterday with no problems. Tried to start it this morning and no fire. I changed the fuel filter, but forgot to bleed it. Will have to do that tomorrow. Any suggestions before I call JD shop?
Thanks

/ 5403 won't fire #2  
after you bleed the fuel filter and lines open a couple injector lines and bleed them to the injectors then it should start up fine. After you get it started I would look at your fuel lines and fittings because it sounds like fuel is leaking of creating air in lines.

/ 5403 won't fire #3  
Are you blowing any fuses? and does the fuse blow as soon as you turn the key? Here is the online manual if you do not already have it.
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE268160_19/?tM=FR

I believe the problem is the temperature sensor, if no smoke is coming out.

On the thermostat housing there is a temperature sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump; this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold by advancing the timing.

If you disconnect the sensor and it works fine ohm test the sensor, probably shorted.

The sensor on the thermostat housing controls the advance on the injection pump. When it fails it shorts out and blows the fuse. Try unplugging it, replace fuse and see if it starts and runs. The part # is RE503242, (include is the URL for JD and picture of sensor) if you are quick changing it, you don't have to drain the coolant, just make sure it's not hot at the time. You will want a pan under the tractor to catch the coolant, so as not too have to clean it up.

You may need to re-prime the fuel system, if it still does not start.

To comply with the exhaust emissions regulation, the timing of injection pump should be around 6 to 9 degrees before TDC. This timing values do not allow proper start-up operations when engine is cold. To ease engine start-up, a cold advance system gives to the injection pump a temporary over-timing.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Attachments

• RE503242.jpg
    RE503242.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,574
   / 5403 won't fire #4  
bleed the injector pump, then you also may have to crack the lines, but so far I never had to do the injector line part. Should be in your owners manual how to do that.

/ 5403 won't fire
JD5210, I do have the Manual.

Is the fuse located in the fuse panel with other fuses? Looking at fuses in the Manual I don't see one related to the thermostat sensor.

Thanks.

/ 5403 won't fire #6  
We both have the same basic engine, but yours from what I see on tractordata.com has a turbo.

The temp. sensor is connected to the fuel solenoid on the fuel pump. On my tractor there is a seperate fuse for the fuel solenoid and this is the one that blows then the sensor is bad. I did not see this on your tractor, when looking at the manual.

Are any of fuses blown? If no, then this may not be your problem. If yes, which one? Does the fuse, blow as soon as your turn the key? If fuse does blow, unplug the sensor, replace the fuse, bleed the tractor and see, what happens.

For future reference. Fill the tank and fill the fuel filter before putting on and you may not have to bleed the tractor.

/ 5403 won't fire
JD5210, yep it was blowing a fuse. Did as you said and pulled the plug, put in new fuse, and she fired up....that is a good sound. I ordered a new sensor.
Thanks very much.

/ 5403 won't fire #8  
Glad this resolved your problem. That is a sweat sound when it fires up.

Would you mind sharing which fuse it was? Also is there anything different that you did with the tractor the day before? A number of people have had this problem and I am trying to see, if there is anything in common.

/ 5403 won't fire
Glad this resolved your problem. That is a sweat sound when it fires up.

Would you mind sharing which fuse it was? Also is there anything different that you did with the tractor the day before? A number of people have had this problem and I am trying to see, if there is anything in common.

The fuse panel photo in the owner's manual is not the same as on my 5403. The arrangement of the fuses is different so I can only tell that it was a 20 A fuse located on the top of the third column of fuses. When I first pulled all the fuses to check them, there were two 20 A fuses blown, but when I replaced them and cranked it over, only the one blew.
What I did the day before was plant my 2.5 acres of food plots, once over with a grain drill, once over with a cone spreader, and once over with a cultipacker.
None of this was a load on the tractor. The tractor has 480 hours on it.
Wonder if some of these sensors were made defective?

/ 5403 won't fire #10  
Thank you for answering my questions. I have seen the problem reported on 5210s, 5310s, 5220s, 5320s, 5303s and now your 5403. All these are the 3-cylinder 2.9 engine, but one person with a 5420 had the problem.