John Deere 3020 turbo

/ John Deere 3020 turbo #1  

JaredWardall

Tractor
John Deere 3020
hi all,

i have an idea for a project that i want to do. i would like to put a turbo on my 1969 JD 3020 diesel. before i get real serious about this i want to do some research first. i would like any info that i can get my hands on that deals with this subject. i really dont want much hp gain just to here the whistle of a turbo. all information is greatly appreciated!!

thanks, jared

/ John Deere 3020 turbo #2  
There used to be a company called M&W that made turbo kits for these tractors. I don't think they are still in business, but you might find one for sale somewhere. I installed one on a 3010 20 years ago. If you don't turn up the fuel on the pump, you won't gain much power. I recommend installing a pyrometer to keep tabs on exhaust temperature. On the 3010, we turned up fuel delivery 15% and ended up with 91 hp. The tractor had several thousand hours on it at the time and is still running with no problems, but the owner is careful to monitor exhaust temps to avoid piston meltdown.

/ John Deere 3020 turbo #3  
I've only seen 1 M&W kit and that was on a 4020. That one had a oversized oil pan and some other mods to handle the extra heating.

I also don't know if M&W is still going.

/ John Deere 3020 turbo #4  
I don't think M & W is still in business but I do see a kit listed on ebay which can be had for a hefty price.

M&W TURBO TURBOCHARGER KIT JOHN DEERE 3010 3020 | eBay

Reading thru this I see you can get a brand new turbo and also get the injector pump turned up. All it takes is money.:licking: