336 baler questions

/ 336 baler questions #1  

RCCB

Tractor
Ford 8000, MF 1085, IH T-340
I just bought a JD 336 baler from a consignment auction. After I got it home, I found the data plate missing. Is there any way to ballpark the age of the baler? 2. One side will tie a knot but the other side does not. I'm kind of green when it comes to working on them and any help would be a great help. I would like to use it a bale straw this year. I don't have much time to get this baler field ready.

/ 336 baler questions #2  
I just bought a JD 336 baler from a consignment auction. After I got it home, I found the data plate missing. Is there any way to ballpark the age of the baler? 2. One side will tie a knot but the other side does not. I'm kind of green when it comes to working on them and any help would be a great help. I would like to use it a bale straw this year. I don't have much time to get this baler field ready.

Welcome to TBN, RCCB. The 336 is a very good baler. Get an owner's manual and the technical repair manual. I bought the OM and the repair CD on eBay.

I'm not sure that investing a whole lot of time on the age of the baler is necessary... They're old! But, there's lots of parts and rebuild items available.

AKfish

/ 336 baler questions #3  
Very good baler. No significant changes to the current models. Parts catalog is on John Deere site on line. My dealer stocks most of the parts. Owners manual is a must. It tells you how to set up the knotters and everthing else. Knotters can be tricky though so if it still doesn't tie after you get it all to spec you may need some expert help to lay hands on it. The exact year is totally immaterial. Think 1980's.
FYI don't switch twine type. If you found any twine in the baler make sure you use the same material and weight as was previously used. There are places where the twine runs that wear and changing to another kind will fuzz the twine and give all kinds of problems.

/ 336 baler questions #4  
Did not mean to disregard your question about one side tying correctly and the other (not)... :D

But, there's a fair number of reason's for that to happen. It's alot easier to diagnose if you've got a book and have a chance to work thru the process step by step and when you think you've got an idea of what's going wrong or if you see where the problem might be --- those of us with square balers can offer some suggestions.

Right now... it's anyone's guess - and that would just be alot of shootin' in the dark!

AKfish

/ 336 baler questions #5  

Old balers that have knotter problems can be a real pain to get running correctly. You need to debug the knotter problem and keep posting back here to TBN as you accumulate more data on the bad knotter so we can help you along. You can do some of the diagnostics without powering up the baler. But eventually, you're going to have to split apart 8-10 small square bales, hook the baler to your tractor and run it while you hand feed hay into the pickup and watch the knotter's perform. You need to get the operator, service and parts manuals pronto.

BTW: my baler is an old Massey Ferguson 124 (1960s vintage). I bought it right out of the field from the previous owner who used it the day before to bale about 30 acres and was "upgrading" to a JD336.

Good luck.

/ 336 baler questions #6  
On the side that is not tying, is there a knot on one end of the twine? If so, which end? The string on top of the bale or the string being brought up by the needle? What type of twine are you using? Sisal or plastic? 7000 or 9000 ft?

/ 336 baler questions #7  
336 was built through the 70's, not really into the 80's but some would have been sold new off dealer lots in the 80's.

/ 336 baler questions #8  
The 336 were good balers, we owned one back in the early 80's. When working on the knotters you can also clean out the bale chamber, then reach down between the divider and pull the twine up through hole.

Pull enough through so that you can get a good grip. Hold some back pressure against the twine and have someone turn the flywheel over by hand (trip the lever to engage the knotters). This helps if you are working on it in the shop or don't what to mess with feeding hay into it, this also helps to slow down the process which sometimes helps to find the problem.

You can do both knotters, but most of the time I will cut the twine on the working one and just do the problem one.

/ 336 baler questions #9  
Had a new 336 inthe early 80's. For me it was a mixed bag, maybe because of how hard I worked it. At least during the early yrs, the info in the manual was incorrect for setting the timming on the needles. I think I broke about a half doz of them before the baler mechanic at the dealer informed me of the error. After setting the timming to what the mechanic said, all was OK. Knoter frame broke early in the first season. Replacement was somewhat generic as it came with a sheet of paper telling what mods needed depending upon which model baler it was going on. The big end bearing on the plunger failed on a reg basis. Always had to carry a spare or two. Went through 2-3 bearings a season. Tongue jack on the early ones were a widow maker with the loose handle. Oh on the bearing, custom for JD Had a unique bore size and only available from JD. I made a bushing so I could use a std size bearing. Bought bearings at local bearing supply company. Cost was about a thrisd of cost from JD.

When it was working, it did turn out a lot of hay fairly quickly.