John Deere 2010 Back hoe

/ John Deere 2010 Back hoe #1  

farmerjon0020

Tractor
John Deere 2010
My John Deere 2010 Back hoe has air coming out of the air intake. I know it needs to have the injectors rebuilt, but as far as the air coming out the intake is it a form of blow-by or something else?

/ John Deere 2010 Back hoe #2  
Are you sure about that? I've seen where it looked like aircoming out, but it wasn't.

Is the motor running?

I've seen this with 2 strokes that one way or another ran backwards. Never seen or heard of it with a 4 stroke engine that was running.

The only way can think of it happening is a stuck intake valve, maybe. I would think though that any air coming back through that valve though would get sucked through the other cylinders.

/ John Deere 2010 Back hoe
Yeah I don't understand it either but when you give it a hit of ether when the engines running to clear it up, it sprays about 50% of it back at ya

/ John Deere 2010 Back hoe #4  
First off ether shouldn't be used a an engine with "glow plugs". Sounds as if an intake valve(s) isn't seating correctly allowing compression into air intake. A compression test will identify if this is true.

Glow plugs don't work :mad: okay I'll give a compression test a try

/ John Deere 2010 Back hoe #6  
Yeah I don't understand it either but when you give it a hit of ether when the engines running to clear it up, it sprays about 50% of it back at ya

Using ether is one of the 1st clues. Blown head gaskets, cracked pistons, broken rings, crushed ring grooves, bent rods, damaged rod bearings are just a start. Valves and seats could also be damaged by the pressure spikes which can exceed 3 to 4 times full load combustion chamber pressures. Use a block heater and/or glow plugs but leave that stupid ether alone.

Glow plug don't light other wise i would, and its parked out in the middle of a field most of the time don't have a extension cord that long to use the block heater, I know the ether is bad for it sadly its the only way to get it to fire up or yull sit there all day cranking the darn thing. I let it sit for a few secs before i crank it up after the shot of ether so it doesn't bang around that bad

/ John Deere 2010 Back hoe #8  
ether is ok on many deeres as they come with ether start systems. My 1520 is very tiered but a shot of ether and she cranks right up no matter the temp. I have new pistons/ liners but as long as it will start im in no hurry to rebuild .

/ John Deere 2010 Back hoe #9  
Brimstone10x
Utilizing a factory ether starting aid is "much better" way of using ether than spraying in air intake. Ether starting aid has a small orifice to help limit the amount of ether that engine is exposed to rather than an overdose.

/ John Deere 2010 Back hoe #10  
ether is ok on many deeres as they come with ether start systems. My 1520 is very tiered but a shot of ether and she cranks right up no matter the temp. I have new pistons/ liners but as long as it will start im in no hurry to rebuild .

The factory ether assist is for emergency use for when the block heater either doesn't have enough time to pre-warm the engine. Or if caught in the middle of nowhere without power. If there is a choice to use ether or a block heater. The operator is foolish to use ether. A pre-warmed engine suffers less cold start wear too.