JD 640 front loader 1999 help

/ JD 640 front loader 1999 help #1  

stonz22

Tractor
1948 Ford 8n, yard works 2003 lawn tractor.
I am using a 1999 JD 640 with no operators manual and have found myself in a predicament that may just be finger trouble, the up and down and dump and scoop joystick will not let me operate the controls and is stuck in bucket dumped and down position turning on the engine causes the front wheels to come off the ground (scarey)pushing forward gets it to ground level but no more control. It was working for a day(all controls) then I was told to press the joystick forward and right and the plastic knurled ring under the joystick boot to where a pad lock is visible . I did this and it wont come out of that position and the tractor is stuck in this mode (useless) to continue. I may have inadvertently pushed pressed or switched something to make the joy stick un responsive """""HELP""""" Please
Thanks Wayne
Never go from a 48 8n to a 640 to complicated lol !!

/ JD 640 front loader 1999 help #3  
You need to work with the plastic ring below the lever boot. It can be hard to turn and get the gates in the proper places so the joystick will respond. It can lock out all functions, lock the boom and allow the bucket to operate, lockout the bucket and allow the boom to operate, or allow everything to operate.

Try moving the joystick and at the same time turnng the lock ring. Tractor need not be running to do this.

My 640 loader is a 2006 and it (lock ring) does not work properly, so I leave it for all functions to work. Poor design in my opinion :mad:

/ JD 640 front loader 1999 help
Thanks for that link it has really helped
Cheers
Wayne

This is exactly what I think is happening as I have tried moving that knurled plastic ring which appears to be really shaky. And have recovered some of the motion then it will happen again unexpectedly ,I wonder if that ring is necessary I assume its to lock out the Joy stick while driving on the road and not have an accidental bucket drop to the road with cars behind you causes sparks or gravel to fly and tempers to flare.....It is really mickey mouse it should be made of metal with less chance to wear or wobble. Thanks for your help if you have any ideas on removing the ring let me know please.It is a model 6310 JD 1999

/ JD 640 front loader 1999 help #6  
Is your loaders joystick "in console style" or out of console?? I downloaded a schematic of the parts of the out of console style JS(I was guessing). Maybe that will help you unlock it.

Attachments

• WP5626_________UN14MAY04.gif
    WP5626_________UN14MAY04.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,206
I believe it's in console and is similar to the great schematic u sent but there is no rubber boot which leads me to believe there may be some subtle changes between in and out console type , if you had one of the inside that would be greatly appreciated.
Thx Wayne

/ JD 640 front loader 1999 help #8  
Here's the other photo.

Attachments

• WP6241_________UN15DEC05.gif
    WP6241_________UN15DEC05.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,335
Thanks again TX JIM another great schematic to ponder
Cheers
WS

/ JD 640 front loader 1999 help #10  
stonz22
You can view those schematics on JDparts.com.