Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    2015 John Deere 5115M, 1928 and 1945 hand start John Deere D's,

Default 2012 5105M

Just wanted to update on our 5105M. About 60hrs so far, very impressed overall. One problem that will need adjusting is it pops out of 540 economy pto. Regular speed is fine. Not overly concerned, will get it adjusted correctly it has to go back to get the creeper installed. We weren't sure if we needed it when we ordered it and prepared for the possibility of adding it later. Some of the changes I have done so far include moving the interior mirror down to the right front pillar to give a better view behind when on the road, versus using it to look at the attachment. Added a rain cap to the exhaust, I love the nostalgia of it. Made up some mud flaps. Moved the bracket for the tool box over to right side of loader frame(goes upside down) but now allows jerry cans, other wise would have had to use a hose to fuel up. Have since added the john deere rear wiper kit, very good instructions.

Looking forward to trying it with the 4 bottom plow we picked up. Have to wait for drier weather. Enough rain for standing water everywhere. Just waiting for the mosquito invasion now.

Brent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 5105M-mirror-jpg   2012 5105M-mud-flap-jpg   2012 5105M-newstack-jpg   2012 5105M-photo2-jpg  

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2015 John Deere 5115M, 1928 and 1945 hand start John Deere D's,

Default Re: 2012 5105M

Sorry apparently all the photos turned sideways. I have no idea why. Perhaps because I made them smaller?

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

Well... even sideways - I like lookin' at JD pictures! You've been busy - tryin' this a little different and then addin' that - to your 105M.

Gives me somethin' to think about... (that inside cab mirror - is almost a waste of time.) Mounted like you've done gives it some function!

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    John Deere 5105M & IH Farmall 544

Welcome to the 5105M family. I too agree about the mirror issue.
    The only issue I have had so far is I had one of the loader hydraulic fittings start leaking. Tightened that up.
    I have a fuel leak on the hose clamp at the bottom of the fuel tank. Haven't took time to tighten that up yet.
    I will make appointment tomorrow for 100 hr service.

I'm trying to find a seat cover but can't found anything I like. Still have the orginal plastic cover on. Does anyone else have any suggestions for a nice, well fitted seat cover?

Any suggestions on how to chain down the tractor on the trailer without scratching off the paint on the axles?
    MWRR
    Illinois, 180 acres, 80 acres hay, cattle, JD 5105M,IH-Farmall 544, Kuhn 700 GMD HDII, Case 580B, JD 535 Baler, MF 124.

Tractor
    JD 5083E; JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

Quote Originally Posted by Tul01 View Post
    . . . Some of the changes I have done so far include moving the interior mirror down to the right front pillar to give a better view behind when on the road, versus using it to look at the attachment. Added a rain cap to the exhaust, I love the nostalgia of it. Made up some mud flaps. Moved the bracket for the tool box over to right side of loader frame(goes upside down) but now allows jerry cans, other wise would have had to use a hose to fuel up. Have since added the john deere rear wiper kit, very good instructions. . .
    Brent,
    Nice job on the "improvements" to your M.
    Like you, I like the flapper on the exhaust. I've actually thought about it myself.
    Good idea on the mirror, although I can't do that on mine. That's where the monitor mounts for my hay baler.
    Never thought about the tool box, but I have a bulk fuel tank and pump here.

My M has nearly 300 hours on it with only one warranty issue. The left side hydraulic cylinder on the 3pt hitch had leaked since new. My dealer sent a mechanic and a new cylinder out to my place and changed it. He also did the parking lever recall/update. (on the earlier models) That's it. No other issues.

I think you're gonna like it.
    '12 JD 5083E Cab MFWD FEL
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Krone 5.52 Tedder; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

"I've come to the point in my life where I can't remember if I've lost my horse or just found a rope."

Tractor
    JD 5083E; JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

Quote Originally Posted by MWRR View Post
    . . . I'm trying to find a seat cover but can't found anything I like. Still have the orginal plastic cover on. Does anyone else have any suggestions for a nice, well fitted seat cover?

Any suggestions on how to chain down the tractor on the trailer without scratching off the paint on the axles?
    If you find a good seat cover, let us know. Mine still has the plastic on it too.

Roll the bucket all the way back and put one chain across it.
    Put your other chain over the drawbar.
    '12 JD 5083E Cab MFWD FEL
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Krone 5.52 Tedder; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

"I've come to the point in my life where I can't remember if I've lost my horse or just found a rope."

Tractor

Welcome to the 5105M family. I too agree about the mirror issue.
    The only issue I have had so far is I had one of the loader hydraulic fittings start leaking. Tightened that up.
    I have a fuel leak on the hose clamp at the bottom of the fuel tank. Haven't took time to tighten that up yet.
    I will make appointment tomorrow for 100 hr service.

I'm trying to find a seat cover but can't found anything I like. Still have the orginal plastic cover on. Does anyone else have any suggestions for a nice, well fitted seat cover?

I had a fuel leak, too. A minute or two with a screwdriver on the hose clamp solved that.

Still have the plastic on my seat too. 160 hours now. I'm gonna try that fitted yellow JD seat cover for large seats. Have it on my 110TLB seat and it's workin' just fine - even flippin' the seat back and forth with the backhoe.

I had a small hyd leak on the top of the transaxle where the main hyd line routes back to the rear SCV's. Dealer is gonna fix it this fall - after the haying season...

Like Bigfoot - I chain mine up and over the drawbar - between the drawbar housing. And I use the center pin on the front weight bracket to chain the front down. I've rubbed the paint off of the weight bracket; but that's better than gouging the front axle - IMO.

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    JD 5085M, JD 1445, JD GT235, JD LT166

I hook my front hooks into these slots:

And my rear hooks behind the draw bar frame at these points.

I'm still using the same straps from when I had a CUT. Probably time to get some chains and binders.
    JD 5085M w/ H260 MSL Loader, Frontier AV20G Grapple, Frontier AP13G Pallet Forks, Woods BH1050 Backhoe, Woods SG100 Stump Grinder, Woods RM990 Finish Mower, Woods RB850 3 Way Hydraulic Blade, Woods LR108-2 Rake, Maschio H205 Tiller, Bush Hog 3209 Cutter, Vermeer 906 Chipper, Valby SGR76 3pt Grapple, Shaver 601H Post Digger, Tufline 8' Disc Harrow, Vicon Vari-Spreader MK-II 400, JD 45 16-3 Bottom Plow
    2002 Silverado Duramax 3500 Crew Cab LT 4x4
    BigTex 22.5K 25' Gooseneck Trailer

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by pclausen View Post
    I hook my front hooks into these slots:

And my rear hooks behind the draw bar frame at these points.

I'm still using the same straps from when I had a CUT. Probably time to get some chains and binders.
    Hmm... never looked up there before!! Have to check that out. That's basically the same location that I chain the rear up, too. Although, I use just one 20' 6,500lb chain and binder.

Did you happen to stop off at the weigh station before you came home with your tractor...?

Probably would have had to duct tape over the manufacturer's VIN plate!! I'd bet you were at least a 1,000lbs over the trailer limit...

AKfish

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

At the rear use the drawbar. Front pin in starter weight if you have one. Other thoughts, firehose or carpet scraps between you chain and axle.
    If your loader torque tube is hollow side a chain thru it.

I've been told any implement, including a loader must ALSO be secured.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast