2008 5603 PTO hard to engage?

/ 2008 5603 PTO hard to engage? #1  

schiker

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 1972 LCG, JD 5603
I have a '08 5603 cab 12FR power reverser. I bought it used with about 800 hours last year. Its been flawless for about 100hrs.

Just recently its developed an issue engaging the PTO. The lever is really hard to pull/push and get the PTO to engage. Its like the lever is binding but I think its more serious than that??? After I engage PTO once its easier to disengage and re-engage. I pulled the knob off the handle the other day it was so difficult to engage.

IT doesn't seem to matter if in PTO or EPTO or RPM of engine or gear/neutral

What should I look at?

/ 2008 5603 PTO hard to engage?
Adjusting

So I adjusted the cable end so the lever mechanism cams over easier. I guess the previous owner had the clutch tightened to the max; must have run a large cutter? I guess I'll see if it slips and may have to tighten it back up some???

I assume with age you adjust taking up slack so it pulls more ???? Maybe not? Anyone ever had to adjust their PTO lever cable lenght?

/ 2008 5603 PTO hard to engage? #3  
I had to make an adjustment on a 5105 I had. When running cutter I noticed it slipping when under load. Initially thought it was cutter slip clutch. Tried a cutter with shear bolt with same results. Adjusted clutch engagement tension and problem solved. The manual gave instructions on how to adjust properly. Note this was not a pull knob engagement, but a lever. Possible is same issue/process just different form of engagement. I initially over tightened it and it was very difficult to engage.

/ 2008 5603 PTO hard to engage? #4  
I actually have some input on this. I own the identical tractor and had the same problem only worse. Last year was devastating here for drought and I never cut or baled any hay at all. First time to use it this year it would not engage pto at all. Called dealer and they told me because of lack of use, the forks that engage pto clutch was likely frozen due to rust. The mechanic told me to go underneath, fin the lever where it entered the case and using a wrench, put pressure on the lever and hit with a hammer to jar it loose. Then make sure you work that lever quite often just to keep that from happening again.

I did as suggested, took more than just a tap and it broke free.

Good luck and write back if more detail is needed.

Update....

Yes, I learned to crawl underneath and tap on the lever mechanism. Mine engages ok with a hard tug usually but sticks engaged and I have to crawl underneath and tap to disengage it.

The other day I was doing it and a blackish watery fluid started to seep out and dripped a few drips. I wonder if rain or wash down water drains down the case and wicks into the lever shaft hole????? Then the wet attracts crud and or corrodes some. I strayed some penetrant and worked the lever back and forth and it got a little better I think. But its hard to get any real lube on the mechanism.

Anyone find a better solution than just working the lever back and forth.

My neighbor has a newer 5101e and it has a longer lever in the cab to make it easier to engage. And the newer tractors (green painted drivetrain) I think are electric solenoid controlled PTO??

/ 2008 5603 PTO hard to engage? #6  
Look on the bottom of the bellhousing, you will see a plug there. Remove that plug and leave it out. This will allow water to escape that builds up in there and freezes pto linkage up due to rust. I have had some so badly froze the tractor needed to be split to free them up.

So is this the bolt to remove? Mine might be rusted cause its tight as heck.

Still related to this PTO issue. Mine is whining now when I engage it like maybe a throw out bearing is going bad. Is that a related problem to them building up condensation and rusting? Did I adjust my lever too tight and wear the throwout mechanism excessively? If I unlock the lever and just hold it engaged it is quieter but I don't want the cl5101utch to slip if that is too loose.

Did JD ever come up with a solution like maybe a vent bolt (an open bolt hole will just fill with dirt dobber nest). Maybe a plug with very small weep hole or some screen or other that allows it to breathe but not allow dirt dobbers to go up in case.

What is a typical service cost for fixing the PTO engagement.

Anybody install the longer lever like on the first 5101E's (black drivetrain).

Attachments

• drnbolt.jpg
    drnbolt.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 738
I finally took the bolt out and look what was inside - 16oz of rusty crap water. Dang it dang it dang it.

Take yer bolt out fella's

Attachments

• PTO-water.jpg
    PTO-water.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 487
  • 16ozrust-wat.jpg
    16ozrust-wat.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 543
   / 2008 5603 PTO hard to engage? #9  
Wow, can't believe I am reading this.

So about 2 months ago I could not get my PTO to engage, lever would not move no matter how hard you tried. Last time I used the PTO was last winter (2013) and it took some struggling to engage the PTO in order to use my cutter. The PTO has always been not so easy to engage, even since day one when I purchased the tractor new. Being a first time large tractor owner, I just assumed that this is the way it is. Bought the tractor new in 2008 and never had a problem with the PTO until 2014.

Had to have the tractor hauled ($500 cost) to the closest JD dealer and where I purchased the machine. Then I get the dreaded call from service manager that they would need to break apart the tractor in order to get to the problem area just to see what could be wrong - $1500-$1800 just to break tractor apart.

Then got the call that tractor was broke apart and the problem was found. The clutch housing is so rusted that the fingers that work PTO are siezed in rust. And of course, all the clutch parts are about worn out from working in rust environment. NO WAY!!

My tractor is barn kept, only has 260 hours, plastic still on the seat and never even seen the rain. So why is there moisture in my clutch housing? JD dealer could not answer my question and says only explanation is water got in there somehow - either driving it thru water, dumping it in the water or something else along these lines. I personally know exactly where this tractor has been since the day I purchased it new and no way it was exposed to water.

Now I am reading these post and it is very clear to me that the clutch housing is not a sealed unit. Only explanation of where water could come from with my situation is it must have happened when it sat on the dealer lot for who knows how long before I purchased it, collecting water.

My tractor has been fixed and I am being presented a $3300 repair bill. I am beyond pissed!! Even more so now that I am reading these post. JD has a problem with the design of the clutch housing on this tractor, that I do know now from reading these post. Shicker, was your tractor ever operated in the rain/water? Exposed to rain/water? it appears to me that these tractors are leaving the factory collecting water in the clutch housing.

And don't even get me started on other issues I have had with this tractor. I now believe I have a lemon. I have had oil getting into my water cooler and this happened with about 150 hours on the machine back in 2009. when they broke the tractor apart for the PTO problem, they discovered oil in the water cooler, AGAIN!! I have also had my front drive shaft shear off while driving in 2 wheel drive on pavement, had a new floor liner installd cuz the first one peeled up only weeks after I purchased it and the tractor has always made a loud clanky noise when hitting bumps. I now wonder just what in the world else could be wrong with this tractor.

When I purchased this tractor, I made a decision to go quality so I could have a tractor that would last me the rest of my life. I bought into the green tractor because I felt it was the best equipment on the market and I was willing to pay more money vs buying an orange machine. Now 8 years later I feel burned. I paid 45k for a POS!! Should have bought orange.

I am still waiting for the JD rep to call me to discuss my current dilema. I refuse to pay to have this PTO fixed and really in truthfully, I don't care to own this tractor anymore, I just can't...it has failed me now 4 times and I have zero confidence in this machine.

/ 2008 5603 PTO hard to engage? #10  
CScallon
I'm not trying to rain on your parade but my nephew has a 5603 that he states is the worse tractor he's ever owned. It has power reverser and the clutch failed,the hyd pump failed,the engine had to be overhauled. All these repairs with less tan 3500 hrs on the tach. He traded a JD 2355 with over 12,000 hrs in on the 5603