John Deere 820 (3 cylinder diesel) Transmission Problem

/ John Deere 820 (3 cylinder diesel) Transmission Problem
Tractor 1.jpgTractor 2.jpgTractor 3.jpgI haven't updated you guys lately so thought I would do so. I was unable to weld the tab on the transmission slider. I would have had to have a MIG welder and all I have is a stick welder. But, I built a bracket that clamped onto the end of the transmission slider that did the job very nicely. I built it so that I had to actually bend it onto the end of the slider and had just enough room there to insert it and bend a tab into place with my channel lock pliers. I also put in a setscrew to keep it tight and installed that with some loctite for permanent installation. So, I'm pretty satisifed that the bracket isn't going anywhere. It works great and holds the end of the spring in the right location. My parking detent now works fine.

I also finished the entire tractor and have a couple of pictures I'm uploading here. It turned out great. I bought a King Kutter finishing mower and refurbished it a bit and now use the tractor to mow the old home place where I grew up. It makes quick work of the acre and a half yard! It brings back old memories to as I grew up at that place on that old tractor--drove it when it was new. In fact, I decided I wanted to be an engineer driving down the road on that old machine so it has a lot of sentimental value to me. Nothing runs like a Deere!

/ John Deere 820 (3 cylinder diesel) Transmission Problem #12  
rocketscientist,
You did a great job with the restoration looks like new.:thumbsup: I'm sure your dad would be proud of you.
Looks like you went into great detail with everything too. I reworked my 820 that I bought used in 1997, new clutch, water pump, hoses, tires, steering wheel, lights and a few other things. Then repainted all the parts similar to yours, had a great time doing it.

Question, what did you do about the hood decals I need to get a new set of them for my 820. Seems the original decals are NLA and I was wondering if the reprinted stickers are a close match, these are alot cheaper too.

Jenkinsph,
I appreciate the compliment. I enjoyed the project and really enjoy using the machine now that it's done.

I got a decal kit from Tractor Parts, Inc. Here's a link: 820 Late Model John Deere Decal Kit. Now, the original yellow and black hood side emblems went from the front of the hood to the back of the hood but did not cover the side of the battery box just aft of the hood. For some reason, in this set, the hood decal is meant to cover the entire side of the tractor, including the battery box side. I thought that looked strange as I was used to the tractor with the shorter hood decal. So, I simply cut the decal of and overlapped the joint a bit so as not to get a grean line when things contracted with temperature and it really came out nice. I have a bit of a seam but it isn't noticable--much less so than if I had put the long decal on. Everything else was a 1-for-1 replacement. The kit had the shifter pattern decal, the PTO decal, the rockshaft decal, the air cleaner decal, and even some things I didn't need. I think the price was $65 plus shipping.

The 820 is a nice one to refurbish as it is not old enough to be a complete antique so you can still go to the John Deere place and buy most everything. Plus, it is old enough that there are a lot of really good aftermarket parts available for it as it was part of a very popular line with a lot of interchangeable parts. In fact, there are a lot of interchangeable parts between the 820, 830, 920, 930, 1020, 1520, and 2020. A lot of these were manufactured in Manheim Germany, including mine.

/ John Deere 820 (3 cylinder diesel) Transmission Problem #14  
rocketscientist,
Thanks for the information on the stickers. The 820 is a good tractor and modern enough to be very useful. Here's pictures of mine from 2009, twelve years after repairing and painting with no problems.

Very nice tractor. Is that a factory canopy with ROPS? I am looking at trying to purchase a canopy and/or ROPS for the tractor before I turn my sons loose driving it. Those things can be deadly if you turn them over of course and I won't risk it with one of them driving it. I have enough sense--hopefully--to keep it upright but you can never tall about a teenager.

/ John Deere 820 (3 cylinder diesel) Transmission Problem #16  
Check with your JD dealer for the ROPS. I was told JD sells the ROPS at cost out of good will since it's a safety issue. MY dealer also told me there was a cover for the starter solinoid to prevent jumping the terminals to start the tractor, it is supposed to be a free kit.

Thanks for the advice. I will check with my dealer. I think they sell a fold-down one now that would be handy getting it into our barn.

John Turner

/ John Deere 820 (3 cylinder diesel) Transmission Problem #18  
The one in the picture I posted is a fold down rops but obviously I don't use that option with the canooy roof.

/ John Deere 820 (3 cylinder diesel) Transmission Problem #19  
rocketscientist said:
Thanks for the advice. I will check with my dealer. I think they sell a fold-down one now that would be handy getting it into our barn.

John Turner

John, I have canopy on my fold down ROPS. It's made by Tuff Top(Tuff Top Tractor Canopy). Easy to remove if you need to fold down the ROPS. It's very sturdy yet a little more forgiving than the JD one. Not quite as big as JD, but keeps off the sun and rain. A little less expensive which is also nice.

/ John Deere 820 (3 cylinder diesel) Transmission Problem #20  
I have a JD 820 utility (73-74) and need fenders, alt, and some other parts for it. I am slowly trying to get it in better shape. any one know where I can look for parts for it on the internet?