JD 5403 lift won't lower

/ JD 5403 lift won't lower #1  

redka

Silver Member
530 hours on tractor.
After disking about 30 minutes the 3 pt lower arms won't lower the harrow unless I shut the engine down. Then it drops. I'm disking ~300 feet, lifting, turning around, then try to lower disk for next strip. It was doing this before I serviced the hydraulic system, and now still doing it after servicing....changed hyd oil, hyd filter, and cleaned inner metal screen.
Sure don't want to have to send it to the shop. I know if they go into the rockshaft area it's gonna be expensive just for labor, plus about $130 pickup/delivery.
Any advice? Thanks.

/ JD 5403 lift won't lower #2  
There are lots of threads on this issue with other 5xx3 model tractors.

/ JD 5403 lift won't lower
There are lots of threads on this issue with other 5xx3 model tractors.

Thank you. I did do a search before posting the question, but didn't come up with anything....maybe I didn't search the right words.

/ JD 5403 lift won't lower #4  
Not sure how to filter the search function from my mobile device, but I recall reading numerous threads on this issue. I believe most included words like rock shaft stuck or lift arms won't lower.

If I get a chance will try to look from computer and post link. Have been curious if I will experience that issue at some point with my 5303.

/ JD 5403 lift won't lower #5  
redka said:
530 hours on tractor.
After disking about 30 minutes the 3 pt lower arms won't lower the harrow unless I shut the engine down. Then it drops. I'm disking ~300 feet, lifting, turning around, then try to lower disk for next strip. It was doing this before I serviced the hydraulic system, and now still doing it after servicing....changed hyd oil, hyd filter, and cleaned inner metal screen.
Sure don't want to have to send it to the shop. I know if they go into the rockshaft area it's gonna be expensive just for labor, plus about $130 pickup/delivery.
Any advice? Thanks.

There is a little green turning lever behind the seat that adjusts the hydraulic sensitivity (how fast to lower. And raise due to implement weight). It is very small, but if it's the same as on the 5203, it's on the back left, almost to the fuel tank while looking at the seat from the operators station.

/ JD 5403 lift won't lower #6  
Were in south Mississippi also and our 5303 had this happen. Our neighbor removed the seat and took something off the tractor that is under the seat which allowed the lift to lower. About a twenty minute job.