1979 John Deere 2440 Hydraulic Problem

/ 1979 John Deere 2440 Hydraulic Problem #1  

sholifield

Tractor
John Deere 2440
I have a 1979 JD2440 with dual remotes. When I try to raise tailgate on baler or raise hay mower I dont get any response unless 3point lift is raised all the way up. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

/ 1979 John Deere 2440 Hydraulic Problem #2  
Sounds as if 3pt control valves &/or L/D control mechanism is out of adjustment. Try moving L/D lever under seat to a different setting. With engine running remove hyd oil filler cap and look inside RS housing for spraying oil.

/ 1979 John Deere 2440 Hydraulic Problem
Thanks Tx Jim. When I removed filler cap hydraulic oil sprayed out of housing. What do you think? Also when you raise or lower control lever for 3 pt hitch the 3pt hitch either goes all the way up or all the way down. There is no in between. Thanks.

/ 1979 John Deere 2440 Hydraulic Problem #4  
Most likely the orings on the pressure and return valves in the 3 pt are blown. Removal of rockshaft housing and resealing valves and piston should fix you up. A pretty easy fix for someone familiar with it.

/ 1979 John Deere 2440 Hydraulic Problem #5  
I'll second what jd110 stated. Did you try moving the L/D lever under the seat to another setting as I previously suggested??? I think that the L/D mechanism needs adjusted step by step as outlined in a JD tech manual

/ 1979 John Deere 2440 Hydraulic Problem
I moved the L/D lever and it didnt seem to make a difference. I will remove the rockshaft housing and see what I come up with. Thanks for the advice and will let you know what I come up with. Thanks again.

/ 1979 John Deere 2440 Hydraulic Problem #7  
When you remove rockahaft cover be sure and notice where parts key #6 is positioned in RS valve linkage. I've seen tractors with parts key #6 broken or not located in correct place.

Attachments

• RP438__________UN01JAN94.gif
    RP438__________UN01JAN94.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,181