1951 John Deere B with a jd 50 power block

/ 1951 John Deere B with a jd 50 power block #1  

Daveb50

Tractor
John Deere b
Looking for any help that may be out there. We put a jd 50 power block into our b this summer. Now we are trying to get the bugs worked out. We have an issue with it cutting out. The governer asks for more fuel and the tractor falls on its face. Tryed adjusting the linkages and nothing seems to help. Last night I removed the linkage from the side of carb. Started the tractor and by hand opened up the butterfly on the carb. Didn't even reach half way open and it fell off. Any idea?

/ 1951 John Deere B with a jd 50 power block
So you think it has to much air? The spark plugs are black sewty looking

/ 1951 John Deere B with a jd 50 power block #4  
Daveb50 said:
So you think it has to much air? The spark plugs are black sewty looking

Defiatly not the correct mixture. They should be a beigh color. The black junk on the plug is reffered to as a fowled plug.

Ok thank you. I know it has two screws on each side of the double barrel carb. So I will try to get the mixture right. Thanks again

/ 1951 John Deere B with a jd 50 power block #6  
Ok thank you. I know it has two screws on each side of the double barrel carb. So I will try to get the mixture right. Thanks again

Do you have a manual with the initial adjustments on the carb?

Well it's a jd 60 carb. I believe the manual says 1 1/4 turns for a 50 and 2 1/2 turns for a 60

But in my thinking I believe that it should be less than 1 1/4 turn. Because the carb is jetted for a 60. The reason we are using this carb is we were told we needed it for more fuel for the power block. Any ideas?

/ 1951 John Deere B with a jd 50 power block #9  
But in my thinking I believe that it should be less than 1 1/4 turn. Because the carb is jetted for a 60. The reason we are using this carb is we were told we needed it for more fuel for the power block. Any ideas?

With the carb for the 60 it will be jetted bigger. This is allowing the fuel that would go into the bigger engine on the 60 to go into the one on the 50 flooding it and causing your problem. With the carb set properly it will work. If it idles fine to about 1/4 throttle then dies when revved higher it is most likely the main jet that is plugged. Also check your choke that is is not disconnected leaving the buttery valve to float freely.

/ 1951 John Deere B with a jd 50 power block #10  
i agree with mike r.. especially after hearing about the plugs.