JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question

/ JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question #1  

jeffcarter

Tractor
2000 JD 5210
I'm new to this site , so if this post is already out there, sorry. I was wondering how you prime the hydraulic pump on a JD 5210? I have zero action from the hydraulic lift arms on the 3 point and the fluid appears to come all the way to the bottom of the pump. I have tried turning the steering wheel to engage the pump but no pressure is being generated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question #2  
I have a 1999 5210 and have changed the hydraulic filter and fluid on the tractor and did NOT have to prime it. Have you changed the filter and cleaned the pick-up screen? If not I would start there. With only 402 hours on my tractor, the pick-up screen needed cleaning. Drain plugs require a 22mm socket. The pickup screen is located back by the PTO. Filter was not easy to get off, so make sure you have a wrench or strap that fits it.

I would also check the for air leaks in the suction line.

I have attached a picture of the hydraulic system

Attachments

• hydrsystem.pdf
    358.8 KB · Views: 1,632
   / JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question #3  
Here is a little more info that goes with the picture in the last post that may help you.

The hydraulic system uses an open-center design. This means that low pressure oil flows continuously through the valves and lines as long as the valves are in a neutral position. Because of this flow of oil there always must be a way for the oil to return to the reservoir.

The transmission case (M) of the tractor serves as a reservoir for the hydraulic oil. Proper level must be maintained for adequate transmission lubrication and oil supply to the hydraulic pumps (A and B). The engine drives the hydraulic pump from the camshaft drive gear. As the hydraulic pump turns, a low- pressure area develops in the suction line (C). Oil then moves from the transmission case through mesh filter (I) and 25-micron filter canister (G), then on through suction line (C) to the inlet side of the hydraulic pumps.

Oil flows from the outlet side of the hydraulic pump, through pressure line (D) to inlet housing (J). A relief valve (H) limits hydraulic system pressure to a range of 18995 to 19685 kPa (2755 to 2855 psi). If the system encounters sufficient resistance to oil flow due to a heavy load or restriction, the relief valve opens, allowing oil to return to the reservoir. The inlet housing (J) also provides a mounting location for up to three optional selective control valves.

Oil flows from the inlet housing to the rockshaft valve (K). A flow regulating valve controls the amount of oil flow to the rockshaft (L) so it will rise at a constant rate regardless of engine speed. When in neutral, the rockshaft control valve passes oil to the sump. When the control valve is actuated by movement of control lever (E) or by the draft sensing linkage, oil passes to or from the rockshaft cylinder, raising or lowering the 3-point hitch.

/ JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question #4  
I have seen occasionally the pumps won't pick up a prime when the pump gets worn. If the pump gets dry, it can't pull enough vacuum to get the oil started. If the filter and screen is clean and the suction tube is not sucking air, then the pump is probably worn. I have had some luck with removing the two pressure lines from the top of the pump and then filling the ports on top with hydraulic oil. Then replace the lines and Start it up. Also jacking up the rear of the tractor to get the oil level higher than the pump or overfilling it long enough to get system primed can help. You don't mention how the hydraulics quit working. If everything worked until you changed the filter or draied the oil, these steps might help you. If the hydraulics suddenly quit, then you have other problems.

/ JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question
Thank you for your very detailed instruction. The hydraulic filter was EXTREMELY difficult to remove, but once I got it off, I noticed it weighed about four times as much as the replacement filter. The pick up screen was fairly dirty too. In short, I have a working hitch again. I haven't reunited it with the bush hog yet, but it does move which is a great improvement over my previous efforts. Thanks again.

/ JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question #6  
Glad you got it working, putting the rotary cutter on it will be the real test. It would interesting to cut open the filter and see why it is so heavy.

/ JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question #7  
I have a 5210 with no factory hydraulic connections. I want to add a front end loader. there are 3 hydraulic connections just above the right rear wheel. which one is the pressure line? there is one low and 2 just above that. there is a picture on page 60-7 of my operators manual. Is the hydraulic out the one marked pressure (power beyond) or does this picture not relate to what I see by the right rear wheel?

/ JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question #8  
I'd shoot a personal message (PM) to member JD5210. He seems to know a lot about that tractor.

The three hydraulic connections sound promising for your project, but why three? That bothers me. Usually remote outlets come in pairs - one for the pressure line and one for return.
rScotty

/ JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question #9  
I'd shoot a personal message (PM) to member JD5210. He seems to know a lot about that tractor.

The three hydraulic connections sound promising for your project, but why three? That bothers me. Usually remote outlets come in pairs - one for the pressure line and one for return.
rScotty
I am guessing three lines = pressure in, power beyond, and return to tank.

/ JD 5210 Hydraulic System Question #10  
Yes, that must be it. I cannot come up with any reason why to have a aux port for "pressure in" when there is "pressure beyond" available. My guess is that it is is homebrew system put together by someone with an incomplete knowledge of hydraulics and wanted to cover all possible bases. The OP does say that it isn't factory.