JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE).

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #11  
Maybe he shimmed it tight enough to stay up

Even if shimmed "too tight" this wouldn't affect the lowering of 3 pt because the draft arms have balls to swivel on unless balls are frozen which I doubt would happen.

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #12  
Even if shimmed "too tight" this wouldn't affect the lowering of 3 pt because the draft arms have balls to swivel on unless balls are frozen which I doubt would happen.

Good point! So why do they stay up now?

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #13  
Possibly the rate of drop screw got shut by operators heel while getting on/off.

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #14  
Possibly the rate of drop screw got shut by operators heel while getting on/off.

I checked that too just to make sure the kids hadn't been messing with it and screwed it in tight but it was alright,well anyway the arms stay up now without no implement on them as to before they would lower.I'm just glad I got the seals in there and eliminated the leaking.So if your load control seals are leaking,not as bad of a repair as I thought it was going to be.

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #15  
Would like to know if you are still able to discuss the 2440 Lower bushings removal, as I have the same tractor and cannot figure out where the bushings start or stops and would love to see a picture of your tool....I easily removed the shaft but cannot see what I hit to bang out the bushings.....Hopefully you are still out there, Ian

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #16  
Are you sure your tractors bushings need replaced? Back when I was employed by a JD dealer JD service dept advised to only change bushings after it was determined the bushings were worn. Normally seals & maybe shaft replacement is all that's required to stop leak along with shimming out side motion of shaft. On the subject of changing bushings take a long bar and insert into trans case & drive bushing out from opposite side.

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #17  
thanks and yes my bushings do need replacement now.......I have tried the bar from opposite end and hammered fairly hard from opposite side....My question is that I see the bushing at the outer edge of the hole and then I see what appears to be another coupling possibly up against the bushing from the inside.......What do I hammer on, the coupling which then in turn hits at the bushing or just the bushing, because the bushing does not have much of an area to hit at with the pipe, and not getting it to release I dont know what is supposed to come out. I do have what appears to be a big washer up agasinst the outside casing that may be part of the bushing itself, yet the replacement parts diagram does not show this....( so its like a large washer on outside of casing machined in with the bushing as well like its a 1 piece thing???) Any ideas or pics? should I send u a pic? Might be easier if u have an e-mail I could use?

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #18  
thanks and yes my bushings do need replacement now.......I have tried the bar from opposite end and hammered fairly hard from opposite side....My question is that I see the bushing at the outer edge of the hole and then I see what appears to be another coupling possibly up against the bushing from the inside.......What do I hammer on, the coupling which then in turn hits at the bushing or just the bushing, because the bushing does not have much of an area to hit at with the pipe, and not getting it to release I dont know what is supposed to come out. I do have what appears to be a big washer up agasinst the outside casing that may be part of the bushing itself, yet the replacement parts diagram does not show this....( so its like a large washer on outside of casing machined in with the bushing as well like its a 1 piece thing???) Any ideas or pics? should I send u a pic? Might be easier if u have an e-mail I could use?

Unless the bushing's are actually oblong looking I would not change them.Mine hasn't leaked since I installed the new seals,teflon and rubber o-ring,and then shimmed the shaft with shims to get rid of side to side movement.I've even used the post hole digger which is what started mine to leaking real bad since the new seals and still no leaks.:thumbsup:

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #19  
Yes they are oblong and hence I am repalcing shaft and bushings unfortunatly for me.......Still wondering about removal method and exactly what the big looking washer is that mates to the bushing?? And the coupling that appears to but against bushing from the interior side???

/ JD 2440 Lower Rock Shaft Bushings (HEAD ACHE). #20  
That's why I would not mess with them if they are not oblong looking the least bit.They are made with such tight tolerances and pressed in at the factory,hard to duplicate that enviroment outside in the shop or garage,I'm not trying to tell you what to do but for me that was last resort and am so glad I didn't have to try and get those press fit bushing out and maybe make the fit worse.