JD 2130 Loose Steering

/ JD 2130 Loose Steering #1  

Lefturnfreek

Tractor
I got a 1975 2130 that has got a lot of play in the steering box. Unfortunately I don't have a service manual for this tractor. Is there a way to take up the slack in the box cause I got about 3/4 of a turn right now.

/ JD 2130 Loose Steering #2  
There are 2 places that have a history of causing steering play on JD utility tractors. One is wear in the bellcrank bushs/brgs on the center of the frt axle. The bellcrank is the part that the tie rods attach to in the center. The other place is where the arm that splines on steering box attaches the bolt gets loose. Pop the most rearward plug on LH side of clutch housing out and check tightness of the bolt.

/ JD 2130 Loose Steering #3  
There are 2 places that have a history of causing steering play on JD utility tractors. One is wear in the bellcrank bushs/brgs on the center of the frt axle. The bellcrank is the part that the tie rods attach to in the center. The other place is where the arm that splines on steering box attaches the bolt gets loose. Pop the most rearward plug on LH side of clutch housing out and check tightness of the bolt.

Steering is loose on my 2030. I know it's the bellcrank that's wobbling. Do the bellcranks usually need to be replaced? Or is it just a bushing that needs to be changed? Looks like the axle will need to be pulled to fix this, is that correct?

/ JD 2130 Loose Steering #4  
As i previously stated the brgs/bushs do wear out but in severe cases the shaft can be excessively worn also. To replace shaft it's necessary to remove frt axle.

/ JD 2130 Loose Steering
Unfortunately the majority of the play is in the steering box the rest of the bushings... et... are in good shape.

/ JD 2130 Loose Steering #6  
Is bolt tight and arm still loose on steering box?? IIRC the splines on box are a tapered type that the farther the arm slides on box the tighter it should fit.

/ JD 2130 Loose Steering
Is bolt tight and arm still loose on steering box??

Yes, the arm is bolted tight to the output shaft of the steering box, the play is literally inside the steering box, I can spin the steering wheel 3/4 of a turn before the arm on the output shaft even budges.

/ JD 2130 Loose Steering #8  
If looseness is in steering valve box then I suppose there must be wear in parts keys #1 & 23. Does steering wheel move up/down excessively while turning wheels??

Attachments

• L64456_________UN02NOV95.gif
    L64456_________UN02NOV95.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 5,888
   / JD 2130 Loose Steering
I wouldn't consider it excessive, maybe 3/16 in total vertical movement from lock to lock. You wouldn't happen to have the second section of the attachment and the parts list to go along with them?

/ JD 2130 Loose Steering #10  
You can view it for free at JDparts.com

Attachments

• L122654________UN26OCT95.gif
    L122654________UN26OCT95.gif
    21 KB · Views: 3,954