2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit

/ 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit #1  

mtDanE

Tractor
JD 2240, JD 1010u JD1010r, JD 420 l&g, JD 110 l&g
Good morning all,

I have 4 feet of fresh snow on the ground that needs to be moved and it was -11 at 5 this morning. It is just a little to cold for the old girl to start on her own. it has a cold weather starting kit on it. I have never used it and it shows it age. How does this system work? There must be some kind of a control for it or a time the controls the amount of starting fluid that gets injected? I'm not sure if I should mess around with this or get a heater of some type and then just spray starting fluid into the air cleaner. Any thought would be helpful.

thanks,

Dan...

/ 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit #2  
My JD 2030 has the fitting for ether (starting fluid). I have not used it. Heard horror stories of engine damage.

I have heard to spray ONLY when the engine is rotating (by starter motor) and ONLY short 1-2 second burst.
BUT I have NOT tried this.

I have the factory external 110volt coolant heater. It works great for me, plug it in a couple of hours befrore starting.

I've heard you can remove the air filter and use a propane torch to heat the inlet air as someone else trys to start it. I have not tried this.

/ 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit #3  
JDparts shows a coolant heater for your tractor

Attachments

• enginecoolantheater.gif
    enginecoolantheater.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,025
   / 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit #4  
Utilizing the cold weather starting aid is much safer that spraying ether in the air cleaner because the starting aid has an orifice that helps control amount of ether entering intake manifold. I also think installation & use of a coolant heater is a better alternative to using ether

/ 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit
JDparts shows a coolant heater for your tractor

I saw that on the parts catalog this morning, but for the life of me I have not noticed it on the tractor. I will dig into it a little later and look for it. I agree on the starting fluid system. I have seen what a can of ether does to an engine do to a malfunction in it. If I can not find the heater I will get one at napa and get it installed.

/ 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit #6  
I saw that on the parts catalog this morning, but for the life of me I have not noticed it on the tractor. I will dig into it a little later and look for it. I agree on the starting fluid system. I have seen what a can of ether does to an engine do to a malfunction in it. If I can not find the heater I will get one at napa and get it installed.

It will be on the left side of the engine if you have one.

/ 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit #7  

Just because it has the cold weather starting aid doesn't necessarily mean it will have the coolant heater. Our 2550 has the cold weather starting aid where you push the ether can against it while cranking. We've only used it a handful of times in the past 27yrs but it does work well as long as you have enough battery power to get it to crank. We also installed the coolant heater kit and this is the best option. It was in the single digits last night and I plugged the tractor in for only about 15min and it started right up. Obviously a few hours is better, but even being plugged in for a short period helps tremendously.

/ 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit
Thanks everyone, there was no heater on it. After I got everything warmed up she started fine. Also had not filled it up since fall, so once I got winter diesel in and some anti gel things are working better. Dane

/ 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit #9  
Just plug in the block heater in and warm it up. Fooling around with ether and manifold heaters is for life and death emergencies only.
Anybody that tells you to use a pan of charcoal or tarps and a LP burner. Turn the person around and kick their stupid behinds out of your way.

/ 2240 - Cold Weather Starting Kit #10  
Good morning all,

I have 4 feet of fresh snow on the ground that needs to be moved and it was -11 at 5 this morning. It is just a little to cold for the old girl to start on her own. it has a cold weather starting kit on it. I have never used it and it shows it age. How does this system work? There must be some kind of a control for it or a time the controls the amount of starting fluid that gets injected? I'm not sure if I should mess around with this or get a heater of some type and then just spray starting fluid into the air cleaner. Any thought would be helpful.

thanks,

Dan...

If your tractor is parked near an electrical outlet, I'd advise you to consider a block heater. You can try starting fluid but most people overdo it. I have heard of using a blow drier in the air intake, etc but a block heater is a reliable way to help start your engine and actually helps keep the wear on the engine components down and take less draw on the battery, whose out put is limited in colder temps. Some people in really cold climates also have battery heaters.
We have our block heaters on timers and they are set to turn the heaters on 2 hrs before we feed.