Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models?

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models?
Better check your facts on the 179, last I checked all of the 2013 5D and most 5E series still used the 3029.

Yes you're correct on the 3 cyl. still being utilized.

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #62  
The 5 cylinder type engine has been used by both Volvo and
Mercedes Benz for 60 plus years for power for automobiles
and construction machinery.

Its nothing new really and the five cylinder engine platform is a proven design.

The 5 cylinder type engine has been used by both Volvo and
Mercedes Benz for 60 plus years for power for automobiles
and construction machinery.

Its nothing new really and the five cylinder engine platform is a proven design.

And this was the reason for my post. Why so few tractor models of all colors that utilize 5 cyl engines?? Plus 60 years is a far cry from the "century" that buickanddeere claimed!

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #64  
I suppose your "smoke screen" about the 3 cyl with an inter-cooler will be referred by you as a joke seeing how you haven't produced a model #??:) Are you stating that a company built a 5 cyl engine in 1920?

I didn't say Deere built a 5 cylinder in 1920. So who and when did they build the very first five cylinder?
Take a look at the Deere site where they sell industrial engines for marine and gen set applications.

I didn't say Deere built a 5 cylinder in 1920. So who and when did they build the very first five cylinder?
Take a look at the Deere site where they sell industrial engines for marine and gen set applications.

I didn't state you stated JD built a 5 cyl in 1920(read leonz's post)! So is it TOO DIFFICULT to post the model numbers of these illusive engines you speak of????

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #66  
Better check your facts on the 179, last I checked all of the 2013 5D and most 5E series still used the 3029.
yes youre right !! they dont offer them as industrial engines anymore in TIER 3B though... Farmers dont want a light duty 5 series here, (5R from Mannheim is ok though) and Deere has shot themself in the foot by putting a knife to dealers throat: Merge with the other dealer in your district or lose the franchise. May dealers changed to Claas or Fendt... US marketing managers deerly underestimated their Dutch dealers mindset, the entrepeneurs dont want to be dictated by the Green Goat cult... But anyways, i dont know of any 5D or E series around in the entire district. Their approach to TIER 4 final is going to cost them customers too, i do not envy the remaining Deere dealers here...

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #67  
Deere has shot themself in the foot by putting a knife to dealers throat: Merge with the other dealer in your district or lose the franchise. May dealers changed to Claas or Fendt... US marketing managers deerly underestimated their Dutch dealers mindset, the entrepeneurs dont want to be dictated by the Green Goat cult... But anyways, i dont know of any 5D or E series around in the entire district. Their approach to TIER 4 final is going to cost them customers too, i do not envy the remaining Deere dealers here...

There's been some JD dealers around here that they came in one week told them what was going to to go down and if they didn't comply, then the next week they came in took all their inventory and that was that. There's hardly any independent dealers left around here. If you make a deal with one dealer you have go outside that group of dealers to get another quote because they'll tell you they can't bargain against another dealer in their group. Soon there's only going to be 2 maybe 3 groups of dealers left in NC from the looks of it.

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #68  
There's been some JD dealers around here that they came in one week told them what was going to to go down and if they didn't comply, then the next week they came in took all their inventory and that was that. There's hardly any independent dealers left around here. If you make a deal with one dealer you have go outside that group of dealers to get another quote because they'll tell you they can't bargain against another dealer in their group. Soon there's only going to be 2 maybe 3 groups of dealers left in NC from the looks of it.

That's the gist of the discussion with the NH dealer in Walpole (sp?) that recently closed it's doors. After 80 years... Deere has been marching down that road for a number of years, now. Time will tell how that will effect their market share.

I do believe in Deere's product line - I have much less regard for their business strategies. It would be "heartwarming" to see Deere get a good punch to the nose and maybe a kick to the seat of the pants over their efforts to run the little guys off and consolidation (read - no competition) of their dealer networks.

The final decision will be up to the tractor buying public! Time will tell..

AKfish

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #69  
That's the gist of the discussion with the NH dealer in Walpole (sp?) that recently closed it's doors. After 80 years... Deere has been marching down that road for a number of years, now. Time will tell how that will effect their market share.

I do believe in Deere's product line - I have much less regard for their business strategies. It would be "heartwarming" to see Deere get a good punch to the nose and maybe a kick to the seat of the pants over their efforts to run the little guys off and consolidation (read - no competition) of their dealer networks.

The final decision will be up to the tractor buying public! Time will tell..

AKfish

There are going to be a LOT more MF's round here very soon !

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #70  
txjim Just looked through the Tier III and Tier IV spec 179" JD engines. Highest HP was 66 at 1800rpm for marine genset standby/peak useage. Maybe a best of 80-85HP at 2400rpm?