Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models?

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #71  
There are going to be a LOT more MF's round here very soon !

Why?

An old friend of mine is a MF dealer and recently took on LS. He seems to be pushing LS pretty hard.

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models?
txjim Just looked through the Tier III and Tier IV spec 179" JD engines. Highest HP was 66 at 1800rpm for marine genset standby/peak useage. Maybe a best of 80-85HP at 2400rpm?

Glen
And pray tell me how a Marine genset engine has anything to do with this thread titled with "5 cyl engine" other than another one of your futile attempts to change the "SUBJECT"????? Are you trying to state that JD utilized a "5 cyl engine" in a marine application??
Jim

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #73  
Saying a turbo 3 cylinder will make 5 cylinder natural aspirated power.
Maybe JD wanted the 5 cylinder to make a longer chassis than the shorty 3 ?

Saying a turbo 3 cylinder will make 5 cylinder natural aspirated power.
Maybe JD wanted the 5 cylinder to make a longer chassis than the shorty 3 ?

All JD had to do was use a 4 cyl(already in production) lengthen frame rails to attain a longer wheel base without introducing a 5 cyl engine. Did you find the model # of your ""phantom JD 3 cyl engine with the intercooler"" you mentioned earlier???????

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #75  
No tier I or II engines left on the site. No intercooled 179's in the Tier III or IV. Still makes 66HP at 1800rpm which isn't shabby with .37HP per cu" at 1800rpm without an intercooler.

Thank you for clarifying your statement. I'm fairly decent at looking up JD items and I knew I couldn't find the 3 cyl intercooled engine listed on JD's website that you referred to.

I'm here for you Jim

Oh I fully aware you're there. I can see the SMOKE for you evasive smoke screen all the way down here in Texas!!!!!!!!!:laughing: