Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models?

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #1  

Tx Jim

Tractor
JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC
Anyone know why JD put a 5 cylinder engine in the 5065M & 5075M???? Thanks,Jim

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #2  
No Idea, but didn't the 5325 also have a 5 cylinder?

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #3  
Chassis , frame and overall tractor length. Cost, emissions and fuel efficiency. Fours need a balancer system.

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models?
Chassis , frame and overall tractor length. Cost, emissions and fuel efficiency. Fours need a balancer system.

I'll rephrase my question. Why so few models in the same time frame had 5 cyl. engines compared to 3 or 4 cyl???

No Idea, but didn't the 5325 also have a 5 cylinder?

Yes 5325 plus probably several more models had 5 cyl engines as I only did limited research.

So is it cheaper to add another cylinder(piston,rod & valves) just to eliminate balancer shafts? Will a 5 cyl(same L) be more fuel efficient than a 4 cyl??

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #7  
A smaller turbo engine will be more fuel efficient at part load than a larger natural aspirated engine of the same peak HP.the small turbo will be just as efficient as the larger natural aspirated engine at peak HP.
The small turbo engine is also easier to meet idle and low load emission regs with than the larger NA engine.

A smaller turbo engine will be more fuel efficient at part load than a larger natural aspirated engine of the same peak HP.the small turbo will be just as efficient as the larger natural aspirated engine at peak HP.
The small turbo engine is also easier to meet idle and low load emission regs with than the larger NA engine.

What has turbo-charged vs naturally aspirated engine go to do with "WHY" JD built some model tractors with a 5 cyl engine????????? I was thinking electronically controlled fuel was supposed to be the great gift for cleaner air.

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #9  
A diesel, a gas turbine or a non throttled boiler has lousy part load fuel efficiency. Too much unused air swept throught the combustion chamber and out the stack without participating in combustion.
As posted on the "other" site. A five cylinder provides the vibration and noise of a four cylinder with the fuel efficiency of a six.

/ Why did JD put a 5 cyl engine in only 2 tractor models? #10  
I haven't done an "exhaustive" search on that engine... but, I did some digging before I bought my '11 5075M. Deere also uses that engine in some of their skid steers and they use it for stationary power - pumps, gen sets, etc.

I can only surmise that buickanddeere is on the general track for "justifying" Deere's use of the 5-cylinder - smooth, very efficient and reliable - 8,000 hours MTBF for a non-liner engine block is pretty impressive!

Same bore x stroke as the 4024T 4-cylinder engine. Some engineer hauled out the duct-tape and added another cylinder and called it - good..

AKfish