5425 problems

/ 5425 problems #1  

Raycando

I bought a 4 wheel drive 5425, saddle mount, tilt steering with 542 loader. it's nothing but a piece of Junk, soon after I bought it the tilt steering began to flop around and wouldn't lock in, the dealer came out and lubed something, now 2 years later it's doing it again. I did finally get it to lock in at the full forward position but still has some play. Then I had a problem with it not going out of 4wheel drive, dealer fixed that and claimed there was a short under the seat, now a year later it's back to same problem again, staying in 4 wheel drive. The loader is junk too, the main support bracket is poorly designed if anything hangs up on the stabilizer bar the brackets bend. Thought John Deere could do better than on their tractors!

/ 5425 problems #2  
Sorry to hear your problems. That's a model I wanted when I was looking for MFWD. Since I do not have one I can't help with the steering column. I think the MFWD uses solinoid to keep the front axle disengaged, when de-energised it puts it in MFWD. You may have a bad solinoid, connection, short , broken wire, or blown fuse.

By stabilizer bar on the loader do you mean the bar between the bucket carriers?

/ 5425 problems
Yes that's it...round bar, i had a welder repair the bracket and beef it up with extra metal, when i replaced the bar put it inside a 1-1/4 pipe

/ 5425 problems #4  
Fairly desired tractor/loader combo. You shouldn't have trouble selling it, but you did not give much background on the tractor. Was it bought used, how many hours were on it if so, what was it used for before you had it if used, how long have you had it, are those the only issues you have had? Inquiring minds want to know. Or did you just have a bad day (I can relate) and post your frustration on the interwebs.

/ 5425 problems #5  
I bought a 4 wheel drive 5425, saddle mount, tilt steering with 542 loader. it's nothing but a piece of Junk, soon after I bought it the tilt steering began to flop around and wouldn't lock in, the dealer came out and lubed something, now 2 years later it's doing it again. I did finally get it to lock in at the full forward position but still has some play. Then I had a problem with it not going out of 4wheel drive, dealer fixed that and claimed there was a short under the seat, now a year later it's back to same problem again, staying in 4 wheel drive. The loader is junk too, the main support bracket is poorly designed if anything hangs up on the stabilizer bar the brackets bend. Thought John Deere could do better than on their tractors!

I'll grant you that the problems listed are annoying... but, extemely serious - well, no - IMO. A short discussion with your dealer's shop should have set you on track again toward's fixing the 4x4 and steering wheel issue.

The stabilizer bar is very likely "operator error"! The only problems I have seen with that particular component of the loader has come about because the operator smacked it against something. Things bend and break when you run into or hit something that's bigger, harder and basically immobile.

A bigger pipe can help... until you hit something that's even bigger - then you might end up bending the boom arm!

If I were to list your tractor for sale and explained the level of mechanical problems with the tractor to a prospective buyer - well, let's just say that most folk's would jump at the chance to buy the tractor - of course, after much hand wringing and hair pulling about what a "junk" tractor it was; they'd be rubbing their hands together once out of sight!!! ;)

AKfish

/ 5425 problems #6  
The stabilizer bar is very likely "operator error"! The only problems I have seen with that particular component of the loader has come about because the operator smacked it against something. Things bend and break when you run into or hit something that's bigger, harder and basically immobile. AKfish

I agree with AKfish that the stabilizer bar is there only to help in attaching/detaching attachments and doesn't require being built very strong.

As far as the tilt steering is concerned it doesn't appear that it's that complicated.

Attachments

• PUM10320_______UN27NOV07.gif
    PUM10320_______UN27NOV07.gif
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,170
   / 5425 problems
Yes, I bent the stabilizer bar. Really have to be careful with that since its mounted so low but that's something I was able to fix. I guess I'll take it to a dealer to get the steering and 4x4 issue fixed. Hope it's not too costly. I normally use it in 4x4 around my place but need the 2 wheel drive out on the road. It had less than 100 hours when I bought it and had most of the warranty left but that's expired now.Thanks for your replies

/ 5425 problems #8  
I have a 5425 open station with the same problems. I seldom use the tilt steering, somebody released the latch and then it would not re-engage. The John Deere dealer seemed to think it has a broken part, but I suspect there is a spring loaded latch that got rusted & won't reset. You can't get the cover off to see what the problem is without taking a bunch of stuff apart.
The sticking in 4wd problem on mine may be an adjustment problem. If you use the brakes above a certain speed the 4wd will automatically engage (with the switch in the center position). If it sticks in 4wd I can release it by pulling up on the brake pedal(s) with my toe. I think there is a switch at the top of the pedal assy that may be adjustable, but again, you can't get at it without removing the sheet metal shroud assy.
I too bent the stabilizer (syncronizer?) bar on the loader. It's vulnerable but no big deal. It uis nice to have in place when attaching the bucket or forks but otherwise you could take it off and throw it away. The pin on one side was broken for quite a while before I realized it was there to keep the bucket attaching arms synced.
Mine has the power reverser and the foot clutch is really "jumpy", The JD dealer says that is just the way it is. My 12 yr old grandson is learning to operate this tractor and the jumpy clutch doesn't help.

/ 5425 problems #9  
We have a four wheel drive 5425 JD. We are experiencing a surging vibration in the tractor. RPM's do not change on the gauge. Happens when tractor is moving not sitting still idling. Dealership can't find the issue, ran a dino test on the tractor. Any suggestions? Definitely and issue here the tractor only has 1600 hours on it

/ 5425 problems #10  
We have a four wheel drive 5425 JD. We are experiencing a surging vibration in the tractor. RPM's do not change on the gauge. Happens when tractor is moving not sitting still idling. Dealership can't find the issue, ran a dino test on the tractor. Any suggestions? Definitely and issue here the tractor only has 1600 hours on it

Please start a NEW thread instead of bringing up a 2 1/2 year old thread that is not the same problem(s)