M series transmission options

/ M series transmission options #1  

hotchkiss

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 6330, JD 5055e, Ford 4000,
What is the biggest advantages of the creeper gears with regard to use? And same question regarding the 32fx16b?

/ M series transmission options #2  
Creeper would be needed for a trencher or other equipment needed something that needs to move in terms of feet per minute rather than mile per hour these gears will probably all be well under 1mph top speed. On the 12x12 m8540/m9540 my manual quotes them at Creep
1st 0.26 mph or 22 feet per minute
2nd 0.33
3rd 0.44
4th 0.56
5th 0.70
6th 0.84

Where as in range L
1st 1.6 mph or 140 feet per minute
2nd 2.1
3rd 2.8
4th 3.5
5th 4.4
6th 5.3
These number are measured at the engines maximum speed
1st in low is about 6 time faster than creep
Dave

/ M series transmission options #3  
What is the biggest advantages of the creeper gears with regard to use? And same question regarding the 32fx16b?
I find the 32/16 feature useful when baling hay or when clipping my hilly pastures. It is a nice feature....just like all the other bells and whistles on the "M".:thumbsup:

/ M series transmission options #4  
Creeper would be needed for a trencher or other equipment needed something that needs to move in terms of feet per minute rather than mile per hour these gears will probably all be well under 1mph top speed.
Dave

Or using a rototiller.

AKfish

/ M series transmission options #5  
Is the 32/16 also referred to as the powerReverser Plus transmission?

I like the 32/16 but my dealer says the creeper cannot be ordered as an option with it. The ground speed charts i have, which were printed at the dealership, shows A1 at 1.18mph in both PowerReverser and PowerReverser Plus with the 18.4 R-30 R1 rear tires. This is at 2200 rpm. This is one of my hang ups with the JD M series as I would feel much better if i had at least a couple gears under 1 mph.

/ M series transmission options #6  
Is the 32/16 also referred to as the powerReverser Plus transmission?

I like the 32/16 but my dealer says the creeper cannot be ordered as an option with it. The ground speed charts i have, which were printed at the dealership, shows A1 at 1.18mph in both PowerReverser and PowerReverser Plus with the 18.4 R-30 R1 rear tires. This is at 2200 rpm. This is one of my hang ups with the JD M series as I would feel much better if i had at least a couple gears under 1 mph.

Seems that's what I remember too; can't get the creeper option with the Plus transmission. Although, I thought that the Plus option gives you a 20% change in speed - up and down - from the 16x16 PowerReverser. So, A1 wouldn't be the same with the Plus transmission..?

Nonetheless, the real questions you should be asking yourself - how often; how important - is it to you that the tractor has a road speed of 24mph versus 20-21mph? 'Cause that's really the basic difference between a 16x16 with creeper option versus the 32x16 Plus transmission.

AKfish

/ M series transmission options #7  
We just have the 16x16 trans. Initially the literature showed we could add the creeper later. It turns out this is not the case and we really could use it on the snowblower and rototiller. :(.

/ M series transmission options #8  
Old thread revived : I know I’ll be reprimanded lol

I’ve got two 5k E series 12spd power reverser tractors for poultry house work.

.7 mph @ 1500rpm wasn’t slow enough so I finally bought a lightly used 2018 5115M OS 32spd with 16 (with hi/lo button) additional creep speeds. :thumbsup:

It works great having ANY Speed you need under .7 mph :cool2:

On the earlier year model M : the creeper gear was 8spd No hi/lo button option on shifter

JD hit a home run outta the park IMHO with this $4,600 transmission option & is Extremely Rare to find unless special ordered.

A B C ranges on the 16/32spd M are identical to A B C ranges on the 12spd E.
So No Slower ground speed in A 1 Gear :mad:

The D range on M is a faster road gear for travel.

Poultry House, snow blowing, tilling, trenching & vegetable farming are about the only applications that require the creeper gear option that I’ve found or read.

Last edited:
   / M series transmission options #9  
2BC9D8D6-5677-4AA9-A62D-AF4F0452DE60.png

This ground speed chart is at 2200rpm which in E-PTO your not running but 1500-1700 which would be even slower.

Tire Size makes a huge difference too.

I’m running the shorter R4 Tires 19.5-24 which are 49” Tall

Last edited: