jd 2240 pulling ability?

/ jd 2240 pulling ability? #1  

Laman

I am looking for a utility type tractor to use on my hunting club in Ga. Functions will be pulling a 7/8 ft. medium weight disc harrow and a 10' field cultivator as its heavier implements. Soil types will be primarily sandy with some area of harder clay. Since some of the work will be done in the woods so I would like to stay with as small a footprint as possible and still have the power to handle those implements well.

Now to complete the picture I grew up on a small subsistence farm in La. using Farmall 100's. When soybeans became profitable we jumped straight to JD 4020's and 5020's (boy big jump). Im my own time I have owned 4430, 4630 and 4840 tractors, all big stuff so I can truthfully say I have never used a small tractor for tillage work, that's why I need some input.

I am looking at a couple of 70' vintage 2240's that I really like but need some feedback on this 50hp class of tractor. I know bigger is better but size is important. Thanks in advance.

/ jd 2240 pulling ability? #2  
That 2240 should handle those implements with no problem.

/ jd 2240 pulling ability? #3  
I agree with the other poster that the 2240 should do fine.

/ jd 2240 pulling ability? #4  
I would think you will need loaded rear tires or wheel weights.

/ jd 2240 pulling ability? #5  
Shipping weight is only 5000lbs on those three cylinder tractors. Can't find a HP rating but that engine tops out at 45HP at 1800rpm .
Check the engine coolant for corrosion inhibitor with a test strip. Check and change the tramsmission oil screen and filter before purchasing. If loaded with fine grey material. Somebody did not use clean and proper transmission oil.

/ jd 2240 pulling ability? #6  
Shipping weight is only 5000lbs on those three cylinder tractors. Can't find a HP rating but that engine tops out at 45HP at 1800rpm .

Here you go b&d:
PTO power (rated engine speed): 50.37 hp [37.6 kW]
Drawbar pull (max): 5,433 lbs [2464 kg
Weight: 4950 to 7340 pounds

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 211
   / jd 2240 pulling ability? #7  
As Txjim noted, pto hp. I dont know why all the manufactures started doing it but now tractors are rated @ the engine hp which is 10 to 20 percent higher than the pto hp. Think kubota started the trend years ago being an import @ the time but anyway if you buy an modern 50 hp tractor to replace a 30 year old 50 hp tractor, you will be in for a surprise when your new machine wont handle the same implements. It will take a modern 60hp tractor or larger to pull what those old 2240's will.

/ jd 2240 pulling ability? #8  
As you stated the advertised HP changed from pto to engine when the new foreign built tractors started showing up for sale. To stay competitive then the USA built tractors followed suit. Also as you stated one needs a larger newer hp tractor to accomplish the same task it's not just the hp but the older tractors weighed more per hp.

/ jd 2240 pulling ability? #9  
As you stated the advertised HP changed from pto to engine when the new foreign built tractors started showing up for sale. To stay competitive then the USA built tractors followed suit. Also as you stated one needs a larger newer hp tractor to accomplish the same task it's not just the hp but the older tractors weighed more per hp.

It's a marketing strategy - pto hp versus engine hp. As well, the manufacturer's determined that there are differing market "niches" for the same model series. That's why they've gone to 5000 series E, D, E limited and M lineups.

And the 6000 D, Premium and R lineups.

Noticed a similar market structure for the 7000 and the 8000 machines, too.

Depending upon the lineup in a particular series - there can be a big difference in the Hp/weight for the same series - E versus the M. Or the D versus the Premium.

Gonna get you to spend those dollars... one way or another --- :laughing:

AKfish