John Deere 950 Tractor info

/ John Deere 950 Tractor info #1  

drat53

Tractor
Branson 2810, Ford 8N -9N, John Deere 950, Ford 3000
I just bought a JD950 tractor. I ordered an IT manual but it won't come in for at least a week. I was wondering where and how to check the fluid levels. I don't see a dip stick. There are several wires hanging loose and I would like to know where they go. Does the IT manual have a wiring diagram?

/ John Deere 950 Tractor info #2  
Three dip sticks: engine, front axle and trans. With the exception of the engine, I just base it on whether I can see fluid on the stick

/ John Deere 950 Tractor info #3  
Don't know anything about the IT manuals except they are just a shadow of JD books. The JD tec manual for this thing is a inch and a half thick. Back when I got my 950 as a restoration project, I looked for the JD books on ebay and bought all 3. ( operators manual, parts manual, tec manual ) Think I ended up with all 3 for under $100. Have been into most sections of the tractor, all the info was there in most cases. I have to say JD does a great job of supplying parts for these things, mine is a 85, 28 years old. Parts aren't cheap though. Wireing on these things are very basic, if the IT manual has the diagram, it won't take you much time to figure it out. One thing to watch for is dirty connectors and bad grounds. ( clean every connector before fixing anything ) Mine is just about ready to sell this spring, someone will get a good tractor, restoring this thing worked out to be a great winter project when weather drove me indoors. Hope you enjoy yours.
Chris

/ John Deere 950 Tractor info
I looked again. i figured out the dip stick is part of the filler cap. Thanks, drat53@sbcglobal.net

/ John Deere 950 Tractor info #5  
The filler cap is in the top of the valve cover. The dip stick is on the left bottom side of the block of the engine.
Chris

/ John Deere 950 Tractor info #6  
I bought my tec manual on ebay for 15 bux. came as a disc, downloaded to my laptop. now if i want to fix something i print off the pages i need and throw them a way when i get grease all over them.

/ John Deere 950 Tractor info #7  
That CD manual set should be better yet. All 3 of the ones I have have grease and oil prints from looking up stuff as I was doing the rebuild. Would be nice to just have printed the pages and tossed them after use. I just find it harder to flip through the pages on a CD than the manual, personal preference I guess.
Chris