Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Default Re: Filling ag tires

If water is H2O(1 hydrogen & 2 oxygen's) then how do you keep oxygen away from rim with just water???

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

I've been pondering the antifreeze question, too. Say, I fill the tires with plain water, it freezes and I drive on it. What will it do to my tires? Has anyone here ever done this?

Tractor
    Kubota M8540

Quote Originally Posted by stuckmotor View Post
    I've been pondering the antifreeze question, too. Say, I fill the tires with plain water, it freezes and I drive on it. What will it do to my tires? Has anyone here ever done this?
    I don't think you would drive on it frozen very far before deciding better. Your talking a Major Imbalance of hundreds of pounds. I would guess that it would try to throw you off the tractor

Dave

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by stuckmotor View Post
    The ice can cut up the insides of the tires if tractor was moved with frozen tires. If I ever thought I might need/want to drive a tractor in below freezing temps then my tires would have antifreeze in them. Tires are too $$$$$$$ to take a chance on ruining them

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500

Wind shield washer fluid

Tractor
    John Deere 5045E

Quote Originally Posted by PapaPerk View Post
    Wind shield washer fluid
    Expensive.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD M, JD B, JD A, JD 50, JD 60, JD 420 JD 530, JD 630, JD 1010, JD 1010 Crawler,JD 3020G, JD 3020D, JD 2520 Compact Utility, JD 4720 Compact Utility

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    If water is H2O(1 hydrogen & 2 oxygen's) then how do you keep oxygen away from rim with just water???
    What I was referring to is if you use a calcium chloride mix, or any of the others such as anti-freeze or windshield washer fluid, covering the rim completely does help prevent rust. you will find that straight water will also cause less rust to fully submerged metal, than metal that is exposed. Take a piece of metal and put it in a 5 gallon plastic pail. Fill the pail with water so the metal is partially submerged. You will get the most rust right at the water linel.

It is true that water is H2O, containing two Hydrogen and one Oxygen atom (the 2 subscript goes with the element before it not after), but in order for the Oxygen atom to separate and cause oxidation (rust), two Hydrogen atoms need to be released. This happens slower in solution than in air which is mainly comprised of O2 (pure Oxeygen) and CO2 (carbon dioxide), and CO (carbon monoxide). Notice all the more O's? :-)

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by raheimdal View Post

It is true that water is H2O, containing two Hydrogen and one Oxygen atom (the 2 subscript goes with the element before it not after), but in order for the Oxygen atom to separate and cause oxidation (rust), two Hydrogen atoms need to be released. This happens slower in solution than in air which is mainly comprised of O2 (pure Oxeygen) and CO2 (carbon dioxide), and CO (carbon monoxide). Notice all the more O's? :-)
    Dang it's been a long time since I studied chemistry. I knew the correct answer I just thought "I'd stir the pot"

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post

Expensive.
    Not as high as rim guard.

Tractor
    John Deere 5045E

Quote Originally Posted by PapaPerk View Post
    Not as high as rim guard.
    Depends on where and how you buy each one. If you go on an installed cost per pound it's pretty close unless you get a bargain on a drum of washer fluid and don't count your time putting it in as having any value. And then the rimguard isn't flammable, poisonous or corrosive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast