Filling ag tires

/ Filling ag tires #1  

bh3zfc

Tractor
JD 5045E
I live in south alabama, I own a 5045E JD. I want to fill the tires with water. I also own a MF 265, they were filled with antifreeze years ago. Can I get by with water only and do I need to install different valve stems?

/ Filling ag tires #2  
In Alabama you probably can. But some winter day you will just have to let it set. Not often that you would need to use it when it was below freezing so you might never have a problem. But why use just water at 8.33 ponds per gallon when you can use Beet juice (Rimguard) at 11 pounds per gallon and have it that much more ballasted? A Dame Yankee opinion I know, but that's how I see it.

/ Filling ag tires #3  
Back when I did a lot of plowing I had plain water in my JD 4255 rear tires for several years with no ill affects. As previously stated if it's freezing or below just let it sit until the ice thaws. I live 30 miles south of Ft Worth.

/ Filling ag tires #4  
You can use the same valve stems.

/ Filling ag tires #5  
In Alabama you probably can. But some winter day you will just have to let it set. Not often that you would need to use it when it was below freezing so you might never have a problem. But why use just water at 8.33 ponds per gallon when you can use Beet juice (Rimguard) at 11 pounds per gallon and have it that much more ballasted? A Dame Yankee opinion I know, but that's how I see it.

Been reading on the forum for a while, first time posting. Rimguard is not available in this area. I live in South Georgia and have been researching this same topic this week. I emailed Rimguard the other day and there are no dealers anywhere down south. Closest dealer was in North Carolina I believe they said.

/ Filling ag tires #6  
Been reading on the forum for a while, first time posting. Rimguard is not available in this area. I live in South Georgia and have been researching this same topic this week. I emailed Rimguard the other day and there are no dealers anywhere down south. Closest dealer was in North Carolina I believe they said.

Well that tells you what the local farmers are doing and if just water works for them it will work for you.

/ Filling ag tires
That's what I was thinking, my main concern was putting water inside the wheel that is treated water (city water) could rust the wheels. Back in the day all the farmers used straight antifreeze, it was probably only a Dollar a gallon back then. I think I am going to add antifreeze to each tire with the water. My MF is 33 years old and has the original tires with the original antifreeze the farmer added in 1980 and they are still going strong. Thx for the advice with this issue

/ Filling ag tires #8  
I am in South Mississippi and have never had a problem using plain well water. I know that rim guard is heavier....but water is free.

/ Filling ag tires #9  
Just from what I've researched on here, windshield washer fluid is an option too. Not so toxic like antifreeze is.

/ Filling ag tires #10  
The trick to preventing rust is not just the type of fluid, but how full you fill the tires. You need to fill them enough that the fluid level is over the top of the rim. Keeping oxygen away from the metal prevents/slows down the rust process. Easiest way is to fill the tires based off a chart that tells how much fluid each size tire will hold. This will make sure you have the correct amount in them, and still allow an airspace for cushioning.