Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 5105

Default 5150 smoke problem

I bought a used 2004 5150 John Deere tractor. I have been using it for about an hour and had no problems starting it. This morning it was snowy and cold. I tried starting it as usual, but nothing happened. I had lights, but no crank. So I hooked up my charger to the positive and negative posts (not on the battery) but on the side of the tractor where one can charge it. The charger recycled like it was charging and then quit, and this went on at 40 amps for a few times. Finally, I saw smoke emanating I think from the starter under the hood. Turned charger off. A friend came over and he fiddled with the selenoid wires and the electrical connectors under the tractor seat. To my surprise, the tractor started up. Lights worked and I did a half hour of snowblowing. Did I damage anything? Do you think any wires were fried?

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

Default Re: 5150 smoke problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hahnenberg View Post
    I bought a used 2004 5150 John Deere tractor. I have been using it for about an hour and had no problems starting it. This morning it was snowy and cold. I tried starting it as usual, but nothing happened. I had lights, but no crank. So I hooked up my charger to the positive and negative posts (not on the battery) but on the side of the tractor where one can charge it. The charger recycled like it was charging and then quit, and this went on at 40 amps for a few times. Finally, I saw smoke emanating I think from the starter under the hood. Turned charger off. A friend came over and he fiddled with the selenoid wires and the electrical connectors under the tractor seat. To my surprise, the tractor started up. Lights worked and I did a half hour of snowblowing. Did I damage anything? Do you think any wires were fried?
    You're gonna have to look at the wires. It may have been that the wires were simply loose and the charger generated some heat at the point of connection where the wires were loose. That can happen - loose connection - shorting, heat, smoke. 40 amps is a pretty hefty "boost"!

However, if everything is working as it should; you may not have any damage or long-term upset. Nonetheless, you need to check the cables for signs of heat damage; i.e. melted, blackened insulation, etc.

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    John Deere 5105

Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post
    You're gonna have to look at the wires. It may have been that the wires were simply loose and the charger generated some heat at the point of connection where the wires were loose. That can happen - loose connection - shorting, heat, smoke. 40 amps is a pretty hefty "boost"!

However, if everything is working as it should; you may not have any damage or long-term upset. Nonetheless, you need to check the cables for signs of heat damage; i.e. melted, blackened insulation, etc.

AKfish

Tractor
    John Deere 5105

AKfish...What would cause the weird behavior of the charger? I have never seen that before...and a 40 amp boost is not like a 200 amp boost I have used on a low battery in a riding mower to get it started.

Tractor

AKfish...What would cause the weird behavior of the charger? I have never seen that before...and a 40 amp boost is not like a 200 amp boost I have used on a low battery in a riding mower to get it started.
    I have 2 battery chargers. One, has a 50amp starting boost. The other has a 75amp starting boost. Typically, you use the starting boost for 10-15 minutes and then start the vehicle. I don't think I've ever seen a 200amp starting boost!!

I'm not altogether clear on what exactly the charger "acted like", however. Other than cause the wiring somewhere near the starter/solenoid to smoke?

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    John Deere 5105

AKfish....My charger is similar to the Schumacher Electric 10/40/200 AMP Manual Battery Charger w/ Wheels SE4020.

The charger would charge for a second, then shut of, then on, then off...20 seconds or so until I shut it off. I reclamped the charger and for the next 10 seconds it did the same until I saw the smoke...at which I shut it down for good.

Tractor

AKfish....My charger is similar to the Schumacher Electric 10/40/200 AMP Manual Battery Charger w/ Wheels SE4020.

The charger would charge for a second, then shut of, then on, then off...20 seconds or so until I shut it off. I reclamped the charger and for the next 10 seconds it did the same until I saw the smoke...at which I shut it down for good.
    Well... if I had to guess; it may have been that whenever the loose connection was "complete" it would allow current to pass through the circuit of battery-starter-solenoid, and the charger would load up. As the charger "kicked in" there would be a resulting spark or jolt at the loose junction and the connection-circuit would break causing the charger to unload or shut off. Repeat several times until the loose junction was hot enough to get "smokin'"!

AKfish

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

I agree with AKfish in that there must have been a loose battery cable not allowing completion of the circuit therefore your battery charger was cycling.

Tractor
    Kubota B3350 HSDC

I would agree with the other folks and suggest that you make sure all wires are tight and insulated

Tractor
    John Deere 5105

AKfish...Sounds very reasonable. Actually when I bought it none of the dash gauges worked, except the 00 00 that came on when the key was turned. Strangely all fuses are good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast