/ 3020 #1  

Starbarge

Tractor
JD 3020
My dual 6 volt batteries are bad and need to be replaced. Im looking for advise about replacing these or changing to a single 12 volt battery. I have the long thin battery battery cases and would like to continue to use these if I change to a single 12 volt battery. Any opinions, advantages or disadvantages ?

/ 3020 #2  
If you need to start engine in the Winter in Kansas you will need a battery with over 1000 CCA or possibly change over to 2 long 12 V batteries attached in parallel.My JD 4255 has 2 12V's in parallel

/ 3020 #3  
The only way my 3020 has ever started in the winter in Georgia is with a charger on one of the batteries set on the Start boost...quick start setting...Unless it is just my 3020 they just hate cold weather....they have no glow plugs...and the ether port is dangerous to use...if you inject too much you can blow the engine...so I never used ether.

/ 3020 #4  
I agree with Tx Jim. Change it over to two 12 volts, just be sure to wire them correctly.

brin, You may already know this"trick", but try rotating the steering wheel back and forth fast while starting. This helps to relieve some of the pressure off the pump making the engine easier to turn and a little easier to start, especially on a cold morning.

/ 3020 #5  
The only way my 3020 has ever started in the winter in Georgia is with a charger on one of the batteries set on the Start boost...quick start setting...Unless it is just my 3020 they just hate cold weather....they have no glow plugs...and the ether port is dangerous to use...if you inject too much you can blow the engine...so I never used ether.

Have you ever considered installing and utilizing a engine coolant heater?

/ 3020 #6  
I agree with Tx Jim. Change it over to two 12 volts, just be sure to wire them correctly.

Mine does have two 12 volts....starts fine in the summer ...but when it gets below 50 deg....I need the fast charger on one of the batteries...

brin, You may already know this"trick", but try rotating the steering wheel back and forth fast while starting. This helps to relieve some of the pressure off the pump making the engine easier to turn and a little easier to start, especially on a cold morning.

I did not know that...I will give it a try...I have always suspected it must be because there are no glow plugs...and of course the hyd. fluid is jelled in the winter....

/ 3020 #8  
I never have ...but I think it is due to not having glow plugs...and the hyd. fluid getting thick...beats me ..it has always been hard to start without a fast charger on one battery for over 20 yrs. now..

Bob
You could install a $15 destroking screw to relieve hyd pressure while attempting to start engine in cold weather. parts key #6 AR33249 SCREW 1 (MANUAL DESTROKE)

What type trans does the 3020 have?

Attachments

• RP3510_________UN01JAN94.gif
    RP3510_________UN01JAN94.gif
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,292
   / 3020 #9  
AGRIMAN, i thougt everybody knew the JD steering wheel trick till a few weeks ago. A farmer freind of mine called to ask if there were any tricks to cranking my 4840 he had borrowed. At first i told him no then ask him, you are spinning the steering wheel arent you? He had never heard of such. Anyway it cranked right up then.

/ 3020 #10  
I have both a 3020 gas early style and a 3020 diesel late style and they both start in cold Wisconsin winters. Try to have the diesel plugged in if possible, but have started it below freezing without ether. The steering wheel trick works because Deere uses the same pump for steering, power brakes, and hydraulics. It is in essence providing relief to the hydraulic system, so it doesn't try to build up pressure during cranking. Both my 3020s start without it though.