John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!!

/ John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!! #1  

cowboybkr

Tractor
John Deere 410
Okay guys, me and my father-in-law took a chance on an old JD 410 backhoe that supposedly had a rebuilt engine 140 hrs ago. Was hard to crank, but it ran good when cranked, so we took it. Had a JD mechanic do fluid and filter changes for us and give it a test run. Diagnosis not good. He says it barely had the power to pull itself, is losing oil out the middle, and the front bucket will not pick the tractor up. He says it needs a rear main oil seal, a clutch (which is getting oil dumped on it by the faulty seal), a radiator, and a new hydraulic pump (or rebuild).

We don't have a ton of money in it, but can't afford to pay a dealer to do the clutch and seal, so I am contemplating doing it myself. I'm pretty sure I can handle the radiator and hydro pump. I have rebuilt a few motorcycle engines, and do some tinkering on our vehicles, but splitting a backhoe is taking it to a whole new level. Here are my preliminary questions.

1) Is this job doable for a very amateur mechanic?
2) Is there a place to get step-by-step instructions on this job without investing $350 in a service manual?
3) How many hours are we looking at to take the front bucket off, split the machine, replace seal and clutch, and put back together?
4) Anything else I should watch out for while I am in there?
5) What grade of floor jacks do I need, and where do I get supports that bolt to the frame?
6) Is there an entire clutch pack in there that will have to be replaced, and what am I looking at spending on parts?

Any advice from those who have been there is appreciated.

/ John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!! #2  
On the splitting question I can't answer very well because my experience is with ag not ind tractors. Before you replace the frt hyd pump I would suggest checking stand-by pressure. It should be in the 2250-2350 range. Stand-by pressure can be adjusted by loosening lock nut and turning screw(parts key #33 1st photo). Did your mechanic check hyd oil sump screen for cleanliness? Hyd oil screen is in 2nd photo

Attachments

• RP3955_________UN01JAN94.gif
    RP3955_________UN01JAN94.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 12,619
  • EP13464________UN13OCT06.gif
    EP13464________UN13OCT06.gif
    10 KB · Views: 13,502
   / John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!! #3  
Are you sure it's the rear main seal? There is a weep hole at the bottom of the clutch housing. It should have a cotter pin in to keep the mud wasps from filling it up and sealing it off. Is this where your leaking oil? Is it motor oil or hydrualic oil?
You have both a dry clutch and the reverser has a wet clutch pack. either could be the cause of not being able to pull it self.
Weak hydraulics could be plugged suction screen, as TX Jim said, find out if it was cleaned first.
Is the tractor drivable enough to remove the loader and drive away? You need that off to split.
Find out what AG tractor this is based on. Maybe 2030? Then get a service manual for it. Will be cheaper and have splitting instructions.
Check with a JD dealer and find out if a special tool is need to install the rear crank seal. There is for the 2030.

If the 410 is based on the 2030 AG tractor you should be able to split. I've split two 2030s, one twice, so I've done it three times.

It may not be a rear main seal leak, but the reverser where it goes thru the clutch housing if hydraulic fluid leaking.

/ John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!! #4  
I replaced the clutch in my 310 in a day. Did it just like i do ag tractors. Blocked up the rear half and rolled the engine forward on a floorjack. The front loader doesnt need to come off. You can raise it all the way up and lock it and you will have plenty of room to work underneath it. Make your hyd cyl locks by cutting 2 inch angle iron to fit against the rods of the fully extended cylinders and hold in place with radiator clamps. The whole job took me less than a day but i didnt have to replace the rear main oil seal on mine. Good luck

/ John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!! #5  
I think I have the full service manual for my 410b. I could scan and email you some sections if needed. However, I'm away on business right now and won't be home until the weekend. Not sure if that would help at all but thought I'd mention it just in case.

/ John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!!
Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm pretty sure it's motor oil that is dumping out but will double check when I get back up there.

Will any kind of pressure gauge work to test the standby pressure, and where do I hook it up?
Also, is that sump screen located in the hydro pump, or somewhere else on the tractor?

Thanks guys.

/ John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!! #7  
You can get a gauge at Surplus center for under $15. You can access sump screen on RH side by hyd filter.

Attachments

• RWP5246________UN01JAN94.gif
    RWP5246________UN01JAN94.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 16,635
   / John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!! #8  
Incase it's not obvious the suction screen is key 30 in the parts drawing Tx Jim posted

/ John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!!
Is that dry clutch a single clutch disc? Can I access both clutches if I break the machine apart? Also, would weak hydraulics cause the machine to hot have the power to pull itself?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am only beginning to learn this machine.

/ John Deere 410 backhoe, have to split in two, need help please!! #10  
Yes it is a single disk dry clutch. And yes low hyd pressure will cause the same symptoms but its not quite as simple as it seems. The hyd wet clutches that work the reverser work off the low pressure charge pump that supplys the main pump with oil. Both main engine clutch and hyd clutch paks can be acessed when you split the tractor at the bell housing. I think but not positive that the charge pump is in there also. I would split tractor and check the dry clutch then go from there.