Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Broken axle shaft!

Was doing some general gravel work the other day when my front right wheel locked up.

Tore it down to find a broken yolk on the outer shaft, along with the ears broken out of the double cardian type center connector between the inner and outer shafts. Not too happy.

Check with John Deere...they want nearly $800-$1000 for the axle parts I need. Now I'm pissed.

Have a call into the Carraro axle parts dealer in Ohio to see if they can do any better.

Anyone else ever deal with this? Anyone ever find a better replacement option? Know if any other manufacturers use the same model Carraro front axle as my 5200 has? (#126554)

I will file this thing out of a block of metal before I give JD $1000 for parts!!! (or just put a new yolk on the old shaft)

Thanks,
    Phillip
    SPIDER TRACTOR: '95 John Deere 5200 MFWD making around 60hp--12.4-24 8ply Goodyear R1 front tires--18.4-26 10ply Goodyear R2 fluid filled rear tires--Tires are set 8' 2" wide for maximum stability on hills--540 Loader with forks and custom fabricated bucket.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD

Check with a drive line shop. I recently bent the drive shaft that powers the front tires. Was able to save several hundred letting them rebuild my shaft.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: Broken axle shaft!

Try a tractor boneyard for the part (Wengers of Meyerstown in PA comes to mind).
    Does that share the axle with the 5210? If so, Wengers may have what you need: Used John-Deere 5210 Tractor Parts - Front-AXLE-4-WHEEL-DRIVE

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Yea, that'll fit...but $400 for a used axle shaft is still pretty steep. I've just been running the tractor in 2wd for the time being. Think I'll try and rebuild this shaft and see how that works out.

-Phillip
    SPIDER TRACTOR: '95 John Deere 5200 MFWD making around 60hp--12.4-24 8ply Goodyear R1 front tires--18.4-26 10ply Goodyear R2 fluid filled rear tires--Tires are set 8' 2" wide for maximum stability on hills--540 Loader with forks and custom fabricated bucket.

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

What went south that caused the problem? Be good to know for the rest of us.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Was wondering how many hours you have on the tractor? Also, what were you doing when it broke?

You might try a tractor salvage yard, however that is a moving part and chances are from a high time machine. Sometimes there are units that get caught up in a hay baler fire and the front end is still perfectly fine.

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Did part #5 break at the yoke? Or #4?

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Looks like the shaft is $668 while #4 is about $164

Maybe you could get the shaft repaired at a driveline/ driveshaft shop?

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_in_Tex View Post
    What went south that caused the problem? Be good to know for the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_in_Tex View Post

Did part #5 break at the yoke? Or #4?
    I have a Mahindra 7520 that had a similar problem ... 1,3,&4 were twisted out under high load conditions. The reason, I think, is that the tractor hydrostatic steering often cannot control wheel direction in high load differential traction conditions and the wheels will be steered sideways in a hard push regardless of steering wheel input. I replaced the whole shown assembly end to end for around $500. Glad it wasnt $1000 as in OP case! I cant image being successful fixing the damaged parts.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    I have a Mahindra 7520 that had a similar problem ... 1,3,&4 were twisted out under high load conditions. The reason, I think, is that the tractor hydrostatic steering often cannot control wheel direction in high load differential traction conditions and the wheels will be steered sideways in a hard push regardless of steering wheel input. I replaced the whole shown assembly end to end for around $500. Glad it wasnt $1000 as in OP case! I cant image being successful fixing the damaged parts.
    larry
    That makes sense Larry. How or where did you find the stuff to fix it so cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast