Correct thermostat for 1020 gas Deere?

/ Correct thermostat for 1020 gas Deere? #1  

Blueflint

Tractor
Deere 1020
I almost have the engine back together in my 1969 135 ci gas 1020 (in frame rebuild after sleeves were leaking). I had picked up a replacement thermostat that Stant listed in their catalog, pn 45358, 180 degree. This evening while cleaning up the housing getting ready to assemble things, I noticed the thermostat I removed was 160 degree. This is a low hour (1,500) un-molested tractor and it appears to me to never been apart so I am tinking this is the original factory installed unit??????? The one I removed from the tractor is a Robert Shaw Controls Company unit. Was this factory installed? What temp should I use?

Thanks, Tony

/ Correct thermostat for 1020 gas Deere? #2  
I think the 180 degree thermostat will be better no matter what tractor came from the factory with. Warmer operating temp. to a point is better than colder temp's.

/ Correct thermostat for 1020 gas Deere? #3  
The factory thermostat for the gas was 160*. The diesel was 205*. 180* was optional for either engine. It depends on what you will be doing with it. If doing mostly light duty work, I would recommend the 180*. If you will be doing heavy work, (plowing for example) I would recommend the 160*. Should be a little less likely to have problems with vapor lock in hot weather. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

/ Correct thermostat for 1020 gas Deere?
I am going to run the 180 and see how it goes. I know on most water cooled carburated engines, 180 seems to work the best. I'll keep an eye on things and go from there. Thanks guys. Tony