ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for

/ ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for #31  
We got 'em here too, all over the place. I've heard people refer to it as a row-gator, but I don't know the technical term.

/ ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for #32  
In the Northwest that would be used in Grass seed, hay or Grain fields. The bigger farms use High flotation tires because the ground may be wet and the HF does less damage to the crop. The custom spray companys sometimes have to remove the HF tires from the sprayer before they transport to different fields on a lowboy trailer.

/ ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for #33  
Interesting. I have never seen one like that with wide tires, just the "Terra Gator" type ones.

Aaron Z

/ ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for #34  
Interesting. I have never seen one like that with wide tires, just the "Terra Gator" type ones.

Aaron Z

The custom built sprayers are too big to be moved often. Wheat fields in Oregon and Washington can be thousands of acres. The farmers don't waste time waiting for the ground to dry out, plus the spray tanks and sometimes a pull trailer are so big they need the High Flotation to prevent damage to the fields.

/ ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for #35  
It will be interesting to see how things develop in the "field" of herbicides over the coming years. The weeds that are normally sprayed with Roundup are starting to become resistant to the glyphosphate ingredient. The herbicide companies such as Monsanto are trying to develop new products but even they admit that the future is questionable.
We see quite a few of the Deere spray rigs around here also and the owner, which is the farmer in many cases, will usually have a semi tractor and trailer loaded down with water tanks and carrying an arsenal of herbicides and insecticides. The trailer is made so that the spray rig can be loaded on the rear end to be moved to the next field. The total investment for the rig can top the half million dollar mark. It's no wonder that farmers are becoming bigger and fewer.

/ ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for #36  
In the Northwest that would be used in Grass seed, hay or Grain fields. The bigger farms use High flotation tires because the ground may be wet and the HF does less damage to the crop. The custom spray companys sometimes have to remove the HF tires from the sprayer before they transport to different fields on a lowboy trailer.

Welcome to Ohio where they just drive them down the road--and I'm very OK with that. Lots of tractor rigs here are wider than the side roads they are on so each driver has to work with the other. Many times on State or US highways I see tractors with w-i-d-e duals or triples tires that are 1 1/2 lanes wide.

/ ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for #38  
We got 'em here too, all over the place. I've heard people refer to it as a row-gator, but I don't know the technical term.

Rogator and Terragator are terms stolen from the ag-chem machines which are the more popular choice than the deers up here .Terragators are the wide wheeled flotation machines that are more typically fertilizer spreaders . And Rogator is a high clearance sprayer like this deere .

/ ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for #39  
I have a farmer friend with one of those JD sprayers. I rode in it with him spaying a field one day. It is pretty impressive. 100' boom and hydro transmission. Everything controlled in cab. You can even adjust wheel width from cab for different row spacings. GPS controlled and a screen shows what has been sprayed. What is really cool is that it will automatically turn off nozzles if you overlapp so you don't spray areas twice.

All of that and we were spraying at 19mph in the field. I think he said he can spray 800-1000 acres a day.

/ ANyone know what this Strange Deere is used for #40  
I have a farmer friend with one of those JD sprayers. I rode in it with him spaying a field one day. It is pretty impressive. 100' boom and hydro transmission. Everything controlled in cab. You can even adjust wheel width from cab for different row spacings. GPS controlled and a screen shows what has been sprayed. What is really cool is that it will automatically turn off nozzles if you overlapp so you don't spray areas twice.

All of that and we were spraying at 19mph in the field. I think he said he can spray 800-1000 acres a day.

We shoot for about 12mph with ours. Get around 400 or so acres done in a day. The spray window seems so short, you have certain times you have to get the chemical down to work properly, not only that, you have to do it between the windy and wet days so when you can go, you need to get over some acres. Sometimes you can get it done with one pass, and other times you have to come back later with a second pass depending on what you spray. We try and spray most everything in the fall (weather permitting) to keep the fields clean in the spring until planting time.