24 volt system not charging

/ 24 volt system not charging #1  

JasG

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2650,
Would like some information on this system.

With this it doesn't seem to use the frame as part of the system. Both the positive and negatives from the batteries go to the starter. The alternator is different that what I am used to.

Any information would be helpful as to how to trouble shoot this as to why it's not charging.

/ 24 volt system not charging #2  
What model are you working on? 3010, 3020, 4010, 4020? You mention an alternator. These models originally had a generator. Could you post pictures of the generator/alternator, starter and battery cable routing? This would help identify exactly which system you have.

/ 24 volt system not charging
I can post some pictures tomorrow.

It's a 500A, which is similar to a 3020.

Under Deere parts it only lists an Alternator and that to me is what it looks like. I know the older systems were generators, but I don't think this is.
John Deere - Parts Catalog

/ 24 volt system not charging #4  
From viewing parts catalog it should have a Motorola alt. Possible faulty regulator or diode causing non-charging. Have you checked for drain as 24 V system have a history of voltage drain. Brush dust is starter is the #1 cause of drain.

Attachments

• R11980_________UN02JAN94.gif
    R11980_________UN02JAN94.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 633
IMG_0108.JPGIMG_0106.JPGIMG_0109.JPGIMG_0111.JPGIMG_0112.JPG
From viewing parts catalog it should have a Motorola alt. Possible faulty regulator or diode causing non-charging. Have you checked for drain as 24 V system have a history of voltage drain. Brush dust is starter is the #1 cause of drain.

Right now I don't think it's putting out anything, but am not sure. We have noticed over the last couple of years when it's very cold out it hasn't been charging, but seemed fine in the summer. Now it seems it is putting out zero.

These are the pictures.

/ 24 volt system not charging #6  
Looks very similar to a Motorola alt. What indicates it's not charging?? Relatively simple to find out if it's charging by testing with a volt/ohm meter.

Looks very similar to a Motorola alt. What indicates it's not charging?? Relatively simple to find out if it's charging by testing with a volt/ohm meter.

Batteries will only start it so many times, also when reading across the batteries the voltage is the same if the machine is running or not. When I believe it is working the voltage across both batteries is about 26 volts, when not about 24.8. I'm just not sure which leads are which.

/ 24 volt system not charging #8  
Looking at those pics, I would suggest you hire somebody to do some wiring maintenance.

It would fix your current problem and help prevent future ones.

/ 24 volt system not charging #9  
Very good point Willl. I only looked at photo with alternator in it. But with those loose wires at the starter solenoid I don't see how starter will engage.

/ 24 volt system not charging #10  
and 26v ain't really much for charging on a 24v system i'd want 28 at a minimum.. up to 30.2 maximum.. with a happy spot of 28.8