John Deere 955 rear lift arms will not raise

/ John Deere 955 rear lift arms will not raise #1  

wbaz

Tractor
john deere 755
Hi, New member here.
I have a John Deere 955 that the rear lift arms will not raise, even with nothing on them. The rest of the hydraulic system seems to be working correctly, the front end loader works fine. Suction screen is clean and it is full of oil. The draft lever moves through the full range with no resistance. Where might I start to look to repair this.

Thank you

Walt

/ John Deere 955 rear lift arms will not raise #2  
Hello Walt,

Welcome to the site, I'm not the right man to answer your question, however, there are members that are very knowledgeable in this are and
I'm sure will address your question shortly.
In the mean time try turning the adjustment knob that controls the rate of raising and lowering, open it all the way and see what happens.
Again welcome to the site, I'm sure someone will get your question answered.

Sincerely,
Duke

/ John Deere 955 rear lift arms will not raise
Duke
Thank you for the reply.
I have tried the adjustment knob fully open and at all points in between open and closed, does not make a difference still does not raise.

Walt

/ John Deere 955 rear lift arms will not raise #4  
Duke
Thank you for the reply.
I have tried the adjustment knob fully open and at all points in between open and closed, does not make a difference still does not raise.

Walt

Walt,

When was the last time the 3 pt. was working ? I think, the 955 only has one pump located in the front right side, at least those with out a loader.
With the loader i don't believe there is anymore than the one pump. But as I sated, I'm not well versed in hydraulics. The way it sounds, it don't appear
you are getting flow to the 3 point. Is the fluid good, meaning no contamination, such as water giving it a whitish color.
It can't be air as the pump is self priming , and the screen is not clogged as you stated in your original post.

There is a member named JJ i believe, who is the resident authority on hydraulics, and there are others as well, give it some time and one of these guys will
hopefully see your post. In the meantime I'm going to check with some friends and see what they think.
I will get back with you as soon as i know something.

Duke

/ John Deere 955 rear lift arms will not raise #5  
Walt,

This is what I have for you, hopefully someone will be of more help.

Here are some possible causes
Lift does not rise.
Insufficient engine speed
Insuficient transmission oil
Air leak through suction piping
Clogged suction filter
Maladjusted relief valve
Stuck sequential valve spool
Broken control valve
Broken slow-return check valve

Also, it could be the following:

You have one of two things wrong. A quick coupler isn't connected correctly. They can look like they are and not be. The other thing that it could be is one of your hydraulic levers. If one of the levers is not centering it can direct the flow so that the lift won't work. This can be the loader valve or the valve used for your T & T. Move these valves around and try the lift again. If this doesn't work, then take your quick couplers apart and reconnect them.

Duke

Thank you for the reply.

The oil is full and clear, no contamination. I will be not be able to work on this until next week. Will keep you posted.

Walt

/ John Deere 955 rear lift arms will not raise #7  
Walt,

The man, texasjohn is an elite member, very knowledgeable and always ready to help , why don't you send him a email. You can locate the members by
the directory, it's worth a shot. By this time your initial post is old news and you may not get any replies, so you have nothing to loose,
Good luck.

(Elite Member)
texasjohn

/ John Deere 955 rear lift arms will not raise #8  
If other hyd function operate correctly then I would suspect loose control linkage or a stuck valve or maybe a broken spring.

Attachments

• M7291__________UN01JAN94.gif
    M7291__________UN01JAN94.gif
    18.2 KB · Views: 4,449
Finally got to dig into this problem and found that the flow control spool in the Rock shaft control valve was stuck. Cleaned out the valve and freed up the spool and everything works fine.

Thank you for the ideas and the things to check.

walt

/ John Deere 955 rear lift arms will not raise #10  
Finally got to dig into this problem and found that the flow control spool in the Rock shaft control valve was stuck. Cleaned out the valve and freed up the spool and everything works fine.

Thank you for the ideas and the things to check.

walt

Great news, I'm very happy to hear you you were able to locate and repair the problem. Good luck and have a great summer.

Duke