JD 5403 lift arms will not come up.

/ JD 5403 lift arms will not come up. #1  

kentjones76

Tractor
JD5403 w loader/ Kabota 900/ Skyjack
I have a JD 5403 and the lift arms will not come up. I have seen some other threads that are similar but all are to go down. I am trying to get this done asap , there is a tree blocking my drive way and I need the tractor back together to move it.. .. any ways I know its a shuttle valve and needs to be cleaned, but I can not get it off. I removed the allen head bolts holding it in place and the clip nuts holding the rocker arms. is there any reason it will not just pull out? Thanks unhappy JD owner 17 times this 5403 has broke down ..only 144 hours.

/ JD 5403 lift arms will not come up. #2  
I have a JD 5403 and the lift arms will not come up. I have seen some other threads that are similar but all are to go down. I am trying to get this done asap , there is a tree blocking my drive way and I need the tractor back together to move it.. .. any ways I know its a shuttle valve and needs to be cleaned, but I can not get it off. I removed the allen head bolts holding it in place and the clip nuts holding the rocker arms. is there any reason it will not just pull out? Thanks unhappy JD owner 17 times this 5403 has broke down ..only 144 hours.
You mean that the lift arms are not going up?

/ JD 5403 lift arms will not come up. #3  
draft control lever, make sure it is in the off position

/ JD 5403 lift arms will not come up.
I actually, just fixed it..... The dealership had swapped 2 lines going to the loader controller module. It only took a minute to fix, . Thanks for the thought.

/ JD 5403 lift arms will not come up. #5  

I have a 2008 5303 with around 550 hours. Had a little over 200 hrs on it when I got it if I remember correctly. So far I have had no issues other than a self inflicted bent front drive shaft. Am curious what kind of issues you are having to have so many with so few hours.

/ JD 5403 lift arms will not come up. #6  
Let's hear your issues. I own two 5403s and a 5203 and have had zero issues. Just curious as to what problems you've had. Was the tractor purchased new?

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

/ JD 5403 lift arms will not come up.
Well I bought the 5403 new in 2007, it was the 94th one built. Most of my issues are assembly problems. The Hyd line under the seat failed at 17 hours, Then the rocker arms broke at attach point while tilling a garden? That spot has broke 4 times now, and I have had to use a different set up to keep it working ( John Deere changed set up right after i bought mine to fix issues). Battery was dead all the time, Found wires where not correctly done and it stayed hot even when the tractor was shut off. ( SB). When They fixed the batter hot issue they ( JD )Service did not hook up Fuel Pump, but because it was under a cap it still made contact and ran till I was in the middle of the back fields late at night bush hogging and died ..... so I had to fix it in the field in 110 degree heat, only after i made a jumper wire to the fuel pump did I find the problem... Next my starter would only work after i Taped on it. I still only had about 25 hours on tractor at this point. (JD Service was to busy to mess with me, and i brought the starter in, and waited two weeks to get it back and was told there was nothing wrong with it ( total BS) I am now out of planting season, and was not able to put anything in the ground. I Put on the Overhauled starter, and it was no good ... it just so happened that JD was dropping off my zero turn , and witnessed my starter only working after i tapped on it. I had a new starter 2 days later and they where trying to charge me for it! This is the point when i changed service centers... I have still had some issues , (Lift arms will not come up twice, but not for the same reasons.... JD gave me another full year of full warranty...But I work full time as an airline Mechanic and travel a lot. i don't have time to farm after i work on my tractor every time! This is why I bought new. So I have not had any luck so far, I have not had any Power train issues, but i still am tired of fixing my tractor so i can use it, and spending good money at problem after problem...

/ JD 5403 lift arms will not come up. #8  
I bought my 2wd 5403 in Oct. 2006, which is earlier than yours. It now has 2844 hours without being down at all. Most of that is at full 2400 RPM for cutting hay and bushhogging. Sorry to hear of your issues. My 4wd is a 2008 model with several hours as well.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

/ JD 5403 lift arms will not come up. #9  
Well I bought the 5403 new in 2007, it was the 94th one built. Most of my issues are assembly problems. The Hyd line under the seat failed at 17 hours, Then the rocker arms broke at attach point while tilling a garden? That spot has broke 4 times now, and I have had to use a different set up to keep it working ( John Deere changed set up right after i bought mine to fix issues). Battery was dead all the time, Found wires where not correctly done and it stayed hot even when the tractor was shut off. ( SB). When They fixed the batter hot issue they ( JD )Service did not hook up Fuel Pump, but because it was under a cap it still made contact and ran till I was in the middle of the back fields late at night bush hogging and died ..... so I had to fix it in the field in 110 degree heat, only after i made a jumper wire to the fuel pump did I find the problem... Next my starter would only work after i Taped on it. I still only had about 25 hours on tractor at this point. (JD Service was to busy to mess with me, and i brought the starter in, and waited two weeks to get it back and was told there was nothing wrong with it ( total BS) I am now out of planting season, and was not able to put anything in the ground. I Put on the Overhauled starter, and it was no good ... it just so happened that JD was dropping off my zero turn , and witnessed my starter only working after i tapped on it. I had a new starter 2 days later and they where trying to charge me for it! This is the point when i changed service centers... I have still had some issues , (Lift arms will not come up twice, but not for the same reasons.... JD gave me another full year of full warranty...But I work full time as an airline Mechanic and travel a lot. i don't have time to farm after i work on my tractor every time! This is why I bought new. So I have not had any luck so far, I have not had any Power train issues, but i still am tired of fixing my tractor so i can use it, and spending good money at problem after problem...

Wow. Several different problems in a very short time. Have never looked into it, but would make me want to see if there was some sort of lemon law for this situation or see if could get a good trade in value and try another one. I feel safe saying your situation is the exception not the norm for this series.