5510 Reverser reacts slow

/ 5510 Reverser reacts slow #1  

pmacintyre

Tractor
John Deere 5510, White 140, White 180
My 5510 reacts slowly when I shift from forward to reverse Tractor has 7200 hrs I do not know the service history. The clutch is very touchy too

/ 5510 Reverser reacts slow #2  
Since you say you don't know service history, does that mean you recently got this tractor? Have you ever run a reverser before? The reversers do feel a little sluggish when shifting forward to reverse or reverse to forward. It should feel similar when shifting into forward or reverse. If reverse is noticeably more sluggish, then there is probably a pressure leak in the reverse clutch. Is the clutch touchy in forward and reverse both? There are some modulating springs in the control valve that could be broken if clutch is jumpy, or you could have worn or warped clutch disks.

/ 5510 Reverser reacts slow #3  
clean the transmission screen,put a john deere filter on and fill it with the correct fluid then try it.

/ 5510 Reverser reacts slow
Thank you for your comments. Yes I recently purchased the tractor. The clutch is touchy in both forward and reverse. The sales man that I bought the tractor from said these tractors have a hydraulic clutch that don't wear out. Guess I should have got a second opinion. The reverse reacts better if I clutch when shifting . If I do nt clutch there is a hesitation. Will change the hydraulic filter and clean the screen.

Thank you I will try that first

/ 5510 Reverser reacts slow #6  
give us a update

I have not got at it yet but will let you know what the results are