JD 6510 reverser problems.

/ JD 6510 reverser problems. #1  

kerosene350

Tractor
JD 3040 JD6510 Volvo B600
I read this thread and it was the closest I have found but didn't get answers.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-ag-tractors/238815-jd-6410-238-hrs-power.html

Tractor worked fine no early indication of trouble of any kind. Dad was about to reverse the seed drill into the barn when reverser switch went limp (old style with solenoid). Tractor would not move even by holding the switch. It burned a fuse (f202 I think, the second from left top left corner). The reverser switch itself was pretty toasty looking and at these hours (6000+) its common to have it swapped already so we started by replacing it and it did change things. Now it does not burn fuses anymore and it does move backwards but forward gives beeping and N blinking on the switch (the new reverser switch is newer style with this fancy beeping feature when things don't work and no solenoid).
We did clear codes and the RCU codes that come back are 017 and 040. The latter is something like "forward and reverse switches open while non neutral switch closed" that is loose translation from Finnish shop documentation. 017 is generic or unspecified RCU issue.

Relays seem fine. We did swap them and situation stayed the same - moves backwards but not forward. The man I was working with it today has the code reader gadget so we were able to see that the switch itself seems to open and close the correct connections. I am talking about menus where you can see things as 1 or 0 and manual tells what it should do. If that last bit made sense don't worry.

Any tips on how to proceed with trouble shooting would be great. Unlike the owner in the thread I linked in the beginning we have been very happy with the machine.

/ JD 6510 reverser problems.
well it did get solved. I was to hasty to post bu maybe it helps some other poor soul.
One of the solenoids under the trans had burned coil. Swapping them made the machine go forward. Will get parts tomorrow.