John Deere 1030 Hydraulic Problems

/ John Deere 1030 Hydraulic Problems #1  

Denzil56

Tractor
John Deere 510
My father-in-law has a 1030 John Deere farm tractor that is having a hydraulic lift problem. The lift arms will not raise or raise very slowly. He has dissasembled the front pump and the gear pump in the transmission and found no apparent pump problems. He replaced the packing on the lines hydraulic lines that go through the transmission case. The 1 gallon oil reservoir on the front of the tractor that supplies the pump does not have oil in it when the tractor is running. If you fill it manually it is pumped dry quickly and no oil is returning from the gear case. We have no shop manual or hydraulic schematic for this tractor and without x-ray vision, it's tough to see what is going on, or even to figure out how it is designed to work. Does anyone have any ideas, or a schematic of the hydraulic system for this tractor?

/ John Deere 1030 Hydraulic Problems #2  
My father-in-law has a 1030 John Deere farm tractor that is having a hydraulic lift problem. The lift arms will not raise or raise very slowly. He has dissasembled the front pump and the gear pump in the transmission and found no apparent pump problems. He replaced the packing on the lines hydraulic lines that go through the transmission case. The 1 gallon oil reservoir on the front of the tractor that supplies the pump does not have oil in it when the tractor is running. If you fill it manually it is pumped dry quickly and no oil is returning from the gear case. We have no shop manual or hydraulic schematic for this tractor and without x-ray vision, it's tough to see what is going on, or even to figure out how it is designed to work. Does anyone have any ideas, or a schematic of the hydraulic system for this tractor?

Sounds like the pump in the transmission has quit. I think the tractor has to be split to access this pump. If it's like my 2240. Common problem is the intake tube gets a hole in it. On some models the transmission pump can be a accessed to fix the tube without a split. Assuming that's the problem.

/ John Deere 1030 Hydraulic Problems
So I take it that this transmission pump supplying make-up for the hydraulic pump is a common design. I guess I don't understand why the front pump doesn't pull directly from the gear case. The tractor was split and the pump dissassembled and inspected, but no problem was apparent. There was no visual damage to the intake tube. Do you know of any other reason it might not pick up oil? Is there any kind of bypass or relief that could malfunction?

/ John Deere 1030 Hydraulic Problems #4  
The front high pressure pump by design is a radial piston variable displacement closed Center pump. They do not develop sub atmospheric pressure to allow oil to be pushed into them.
The transmission high/low clutch pack, pto clutch pack and gear/bearing lube requires low pressure oil. Hence the gear pump in the transmission.
What ever oil is left over from the high/low, pto and trans lube is sent to the front pump. What the front pump doesn't use goes to the cooler and storage tank. Excess flows back to the transmission sump.
Odds are somebody did not change the trans filter and vibration caused by "water hammer" from the relief and divert valves has either cracked a line or fitting. Or the divert valve is stuck with a bit of oil filter o'ring. Or there is a leak in the high/low, pto apply or pto brake pack.
Some models will mix and match higher flow trans oil pumps.
If equipped with a loader, backhoe, hydraulic motor load or other high flow hydraulic load. Return the hydraulic oil via a ported filter cover. Instead of dumping the oil direct to sump.

/ John Deere 1030 Hydraulic Problems #5  
Denzil56
I agree with buickanddeere. You need to get a JD service manual and study it until you fully understand the schematics and how the closed-center hyd system works. If you choose not to do that then get you several $1000 of $100 bills and just drive down the road throwing them out the window. Closed center hyd systems require extensive diagnostics no changing parts.

Thanks Gentlemen....good information. I may have more questions in a day or two after I follow up on the suggestions you have given.

/ John Deere 1030 Hydraulic Problems #7  
Does tractor have the options of hyd hi-lo or reverser? does it have hyd ind pto or frt end loader?

I relayed the suggestion of checking the divert valve (not sure where that is located). The internal tubing is not cracked. The tractor does not have a hydraulic pto or loader. It only has an external hydraulic connection for attachments at the rear .

/ John Deere 1030 Hydraulic Problems #9  
What is the transmission oil pressure reading. Here are port(s).
High/Low hydraulic shift for 16speeds.
Either the trans pump is not pumping or flow is diverted and staying in the transmission.
The divert valve is internal to the trans. It opens to bypass the filter if is partly plugged and keep some oil lubing the trans and stops oil flow to the front pump.
Not the first time an old piece of oring from a filter change was jammed in the valve.
There is a separate relief valve that opens when ever trans pressure is 165 psi and sends oil to the front pump. iirc it just threads out from the side of the trans case. Like any valve dirt and goo will make it jam.

/ John Deere 1030 Hydraulic Problems #10  
b&d
Are you calling the hyd filter relief valve the divert valve? Where is this separate valve located([/quote]There is a separate relief valve that opens when ever trans pressure is 165 psi[/quote])?????