John Deere 5510 Won't Take a Jump and Won't Turn Over

/ John Deere 5510 Won't Take a Jump and Won't Turn Over #1  

Joe Cowboy

Tractor
kioti DK45
I have a 2000 JD 5510 with 5300 hours. Until three days ago it started instantly on first turn. No hesitation. Then the other night it would try to turn over a time or two then just clicks, and maybe another try at turning over. It took a jump off of my truck alright and ran fine once started (so not alternator.) Last night it took almost an hour to get it to take a jump. I moved cables all over from the positive post on the starter solenoid to several different ground locations. Finally, for no apparent reason, it started right up. I figured a severely dead battery.

Today I removed the battery and found the positive terminal had melted the red rubber hood and the cable seemed to have some corrosion. I cut the end off the cable and tried jumping to the cables themselves, removed, cleaned and freshened up and reattached the ground, tried jumping again to the positive post off the starter solenoid, removed that post, cleaned it up and reattached. No dice. Tried jumping off the pos and neg cables off the alternator. A couple of different configurations actually caused the cables to spark and heat up even though nowhere near each other and well attached and grounded. I guessed that maybe I had hooked to a pos wire that couldn't handle to juice coming off the truck. I'm using heavy duty truck cables.

Anyway, all I'm getting is a couple of tries to crank weakly, then a bunch of clicks. All other lights are normal and does not at all feel like either a safety switch or a fuel issue. I'm leaning toward starter solenoid or motor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - I searched the site for an hour looking for a similar thread before posting and couldn't find one. If this has already been answered, please direct me.

Joe Cowboy

/ John Deere 5510 Won't Take a Jump and Won't Turn Over #2  
Sounds like the battery is internally damaged. I've found that jumper cables have a hard time getting enough power to start without current from the battery.

BTW... the alternator only puts out 40-60 amps so its cables are wimpy. (as you found) Always connect to the frame or to battery terminal.

/ John Deere 5510 Won't Take a Jump and Won't Turn Over
Sounds like the battery is internally damaged. I've found that jumper cables have a hard time getting enough power to start without current from the battery.

BTW... the alternator only puts out 40-60 amps so its cables are wimpy. (as you found) Always connect to the frame or to battery terminal.

Turns out you're on the right track. It was a corroded positive battery cable. The battery was fine, but without any of its juice making it to the starter, my truck couldn't quite turn it over. Replaced the cables, put the same battery back in and it turned right over and continues to start on one turn.

Thanks so much for the input. This site has been invaluable.

Joe Cowboy