Need advice 6105D

/ Need advice 6105D #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
I have not been real active on here lately, so I'll give some background. I have both a JD 5525 cab and a JD 4520 cab. We run a cattle operation on 180 acres. We bale our own hay with a JD 467 baler. The 5525 has been a great tractor. The 4520's AC has been a disappointment. The location of the air intake on the back is not a great design. Also, it is not capable to run my hay cutter or baler. We use it for raking hay and moving hay bales mostly. Punching post holes is also easier. The 4520 is going to get upgraded.

I have been looking at the 5100E, 5100M, and the 6105D. The 5100E is the best price point. The 5100M seems to be the fanciest of the three. The new interior on the 6105D is a nice upgrade.

Thoughts on the 6105D:

Wish it had more gears, but I have a 12 speed in my 5525 and I only use 4 or so.
Instructional seat is a must.
Deluxe corner cost exhaust is nice for visibility.
I am happy with my 5525 but I would like it to be taller to make it easier to load two levels of hay bales on 18 wheelers. It can be kinda hairy with my 5525.
I do like the ehitch.
There is some draft sensing option on the 6D. What is that anyway?

Loader questions:
The H260 and H310 look like nice loaders.
H310 has higher capacity but I would have to buy all new buckets, etc.
H260 - can order with skid steer carrier. I have a Kubota SVL75 - would be nice to be able to use my current implements on it.
I need to look at pricing difference.
I could see taking the loader off more often. I have never taken the loader off my 5525. I wish I was more comfortable doing it.

Tractor config:
6105D
Air suspension seat
triple mid valve
triple rear valve
18.4-38 Rear
14.9-24 front
instructional seat
Deluxe Corner Exhaust
Heavy Duty Drawbar
Heavy Duty Hitch
8 wheel weights
front weight support bracket
Rear Washer.Wiper
Radio
---
List $78K -> $63K

Need to add the fuel tank protection
Need to check on the draft sensing thing.

Loader:
H310 with bucket $12,500 -> $10,700.

The pricing seems pretty good. Comments?

I am really considering going to a H260 loader so I can use skid steer attachments. The H310 will carry more, but the majority of the time I am carry 1 round bale. I dont dig much with it. I have a grapple bucket for my 5525. If I go with the skid steer on the H260 I'll plumb it for my skid steer brush grapple.

Comments?

Thanks,
D.

/ Need advice 6105D
I talked to my service guys and they say the H310 is a monster - way huge. I might just go with the H260. Then I can get skid steer also.

D.

/ Need advice 6105D #3  
Draft sensing is for ground engaging equipment on the 3pt hitch. If load is too much it will raise implement, when resistance decreases it will lower the implement. You can maintain a preselected load on the tractor.
I would go with the H260 loader. Make sure the triple mid valve option includes the loader plumbing. Get a multi-coupler if you plan to take the loader off a lot, beats messing with six quick couplers.
Consider radial tires.
Hood guard (may be included with the loader)

/ Need advice 6105D #4  
the draft sensing is for plowing with semi mount plows mostly. You can only use a lower link sensing draft with a semi mount plow. My E only has toplink sensing so it makes it very difficult to use a semi-mount plow. I am somewhat in the same boat that you are as well. 83hp isn't quite enough for what I want to do and moving up a frame size certainly would help. The M is very alluring though to have all the bells and whistles that make a tractor nice to operate. Keep us posted on your progress.

/ Need advice 6105D
the draft sensing is for plowing with semi mount plows mostly. You can only use a lower link sensing draft with a semi mount plow. My E only has toplink sensing so it makes it very difficult to use a semi-mount plow. I am somewhat in the same boat that you are as well. 83hp isn't quite enough for what I want to do and moving up a frame size certainly would help. The M is very alluring though to have all the bells and whistles that make a tractor nice to operate. Keep us posted on your progress.

What does the 5m have that you would miss on a 6d? 2013 they really improved them.

D.

/ Need advice 6105D
6115D vs 5115M

The 6115D is $4K cheaper. The only things I see are missing is transmission options and e hitch.

I am going to go drive them on Friday.

D.

/ Need advice 6105D
I went and drove a 6D. Nice tractor Transmission still bugs me. 9 speed seems kinda weak.

I stopped and drove a Kubota M126GX. They have a slick transmission in it. I have to say I am going to dig into the Kubota options a tad more.

D.

/ Need advice 6105D #8  
We leased out around 50 acres of our open ground to a vegetable farmer and they bought 8 of the 6110D's a while ago. I talked to the main guy today about them and he liked them. Said they paid around $40k for each of them, their all set up as a cab with FWA. They plant a lot of cabbage and other vegetables and the drivers abuse the heck out of the equipment so if they hold up on this farm they will hold up on any farm.

They can't pull their large disc but they do use them on their rippers, finishers, sprayers and just about everything else they have.

/ Need advice 6105D
Will be interesting to hear how they hold up. I talked to the mechanics here and they aren't big fans. They say the quality from Mexico has been lower. Some failures have required tearing them down. Long ways to repair.

I could not get past the 9 speed transmission.

D.

/ Need advice 6105D #10  
Will be interesting to hear how they hold up. I talked to the mechanics here and they aren't big fans. They say the quality from Mexico has been lower. Some failures have required tearing them down. Long ways to repair.

I could not get past the 9 speed transmission.

D.

The more gears the better generally but I have a 12x12, a 10x10 and two 8x8's and I can't see where the 9 gear would be a bad option for a tractor at this price point. Now if your doing something where you need to find the exact speed and rpm then that is where you need more gears (spraying is the biggest one for me) but I hay with 8 gears and do fine with it. Actually, I've done just about every task with the 8 gear tranny without any issues. Some times you have to go a fraction slower then you want but usually you can find a gear that works well. In this size frame I just can't see spending $20k more roughly to go to the 6M series just for the better transmission (I know there are other differences but the transmission is the biggest fault I see anyone mention with the 6D).

Also, Case-IH has the Farmall 110A and if I remember that has a 16 gear optional transmission. It is a direct competitor to the 6115D.

What issues did they say they were having with the 6D's?