6415 torsion damper

/ 6415 torsion damper #1  

Zebrafive

Tractor
John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415
I now have the parts to install a new oil cooler (see 6415 vs. a 4" diameter log and lost).

I bolted in the oil cooler than went to install the driveshaft that goes thru the oil cooler and connects the engine to the transmission. I could not get the bolts that go into the torsion damper to start (engine end of driveshaft). I finally took the driveshaft out and the oil cooler back off. The torsion damper bolt holes no longer line up with the threaded holes.

From the drawing in JDparts it looks like part 16 is what has the threaded holes. Then it looks like bolt key 8 goes into the end of the crank shaft. Then six bolts key 5 hold the damper to the flywheel.

Parts does not show an internal breakdown of the damper.

Will loosening all six bolts kjey 5 let the part of the damper turn to line up with the threaded holes?

The engine has not been turned or started since the driveshaft was removed. Had I know the threaded holes were going to move I would have reinstalled the old bolts from the driveshaft key 9

Attachments

• 6415oilcoolerreplacement 002.JPG
    6415oilcoolerreplacement 002.JPG
    819.7 KB · Views: 749
  • torsiondamper.gif
    torsiondamper.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 643
   / 6415 torsion damper
Surprised n one could answer this.
I tried to turn key3 with a large adjustable spanner (two pins) wrench. It barely moved. I think I was compressing what ever is in the damper.
Next I loosened the six bolts key 5. No change the part (key 3) with the clearance holes still would not move. Then a bumped the protruding part of key 16 that has the threaded holes. It easily turned. I am not sure if it was because of the loosened bolts or it always turns easy. My guess is it always turns easy and when I installed the drive shaft I rotated it to line up with the holes and key 16 also turned.
I put one bolt in to keep it from turning and torqued the six bolt back to spec 26 lb. ft. Seemed low, but that's what the manual called for.
This time when I put the drive shaft on I eyeballed the bolt holes as I put it in place so nothing turned.
All is good now.

/ 6415 torsion damper #3  
Cool deal.

Not sure anybody has had that issue.

D.