How much HP is enough?

/ How much HP is enough? #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
I am going to buy a new John Deere tractor. I am looking at the 5100e, 5115M and 6d.

I was originally looking at the 6105D, but my salesman is recommending the 6115D.

He is saying 95hp PTO is the right spot. My current 5525 is 75hp PTO and for sure I could use more sometimes.

I think I will go with his recommendation. I trust the guy.

Comments?

D.

/ How much HP is enough? #2  
Horse power and weight make all the difference in the world. But then it depends on what you're doing and what implement you're doing it with. ;)

/ How much HP is enough? #3  
Grandpa farmed with a John Popper. Lots of weight and not lots of horsepower.

/ How much HP is enough?
JD 467 round baler mostly

Krone AM 323 - make my 5525 suck fuel big time.

I dont think I will ever need a bigger tractor than this 6115D.

I grew up on a JD 40 popper. Tricycle and the front liked to come off the ground a lot. :)

D.

/ How much HP is enough? #5  
I'm curious how much fuel per hr does your 5525 use pulling baler or cutter?

/ How much HP is enough?
I don't remember off the top of my head. Baler s not bad. Krone am 323 it goes thru a rank in 8-9 hours.

Pto hungry implement.

D.

/ How much HP is enough? #7  
Darin,
I like the 95 pto hp size because I can relate it to the ability of my 4020 in the past. Very noticable difference between the 3020 and 4020 imo the 25 hp increase and additional weight made the larger jobs possible. I am considering a new 5115M only because it is easier to transport, if I kept it on a single location as most of you seem to do I would go with a 6115D or similar.

Jim brings up a valid point though, I haven't compared the hp hours/gallon for these two models and is a good idea.

/ How much HP is enough?
No 540e on the 6d.

I might end p getting a 5e. The price point is right.

D.

/ How much HP is enough? #10  
No 540e on the 6d.

I might end p getting a 5e. The price point is right.

D.

Darin,

If you're not planning on using the tractor for a lot of ground engagement work... The 5e would be a real good option - IMO. Especially with the new options that are available!

AKfish