John deere 1050 input shaft

/ John deere 1050 input shaft #1  

brushpyle

I have an older Jd 1050 that I split earlier today Thinking the clutch broke. When I got it apart I found the Input shaft has broken. Anyone have the bell housing off one of these. It looks like the new shaft is installed through the end that's attached to the tyranny. Thanks. Rod G.

/ John deere 1050 input shaft #2  
Is yours two shafts? An inner inside of an outer?
I do not have a 1050, so only a guess, but usually you have to split, next split rearward, transmission to bell housing for shaft replacement.
JDparts says out shaft no longer available, but inner shaft is.

/ John deere 1050 input shaft
Yes outer shaft is no longer available. And that is the shaft that broke. I fortunately found a used one. My concern is once I split the bell housing from the tranny, is there anything I need to do especially. Or is it straight forward. I am now in uncharted territory.

/ John deere 1050 input shaft #4  
Not a tractor I have worked on. I suggest getting a service manual, or at least printing out the parts drawings from JDparts.

I was told by JD that I wold need to pull the gear shift and remove a snap ring from the shaft that enters from the bell housing. That was not the case. There is a coupling on the input shaft right before it goes into the trans. After removing the bolts (using a cherry picker) and beating the **it out of the case to release the gasket. The whole thing slid right out. Jacked it up a bit and the input shaft pulled right out. Waiting on "all" new seals to reinstall. Sometimes it's best to be thorough. Getting it all back together may be a whole other story. After being told "the most important thing" was to make sure to keep everything straight and not move. Soon as I slid the back half out the motor first tilted
to one side on the front axle and then slowly tipped forward and came to rest on the weights hanging off the front of it. Made pulling the flywheel easy though.

/ John deere 1050 input shaft #6  
there is a thread on yanmar with a 336d that has a similar issue,might be helpful as they are similar.

Link? It's getting buttoned up tomorrow.

/ John deere 1050 input shaft #8  
A little late now , but you should use wooden wedges on both sides of the front axle to prevent it from leaning when you split. I did not mention this before since you had already made the split at the clutch housing, so I thought you had done this.