4020 hydraulic fluid leak

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #11  
One other possibility of leak in that area would be the back end of the oil pan gasket. That could be replaced without splitting. The rear crankshaft seal or transmission shaft seal would require splitting. Can you tell if it is engine oil or transmission oil? Can be hard to tell since clutch housing is full of clutch dust that mixes with hydraulic oil and makes it black like engine oil. If powershift, crank seal or transmission seal can be fixed with one split. A synchro range could require two splits if both seals are leaking. If you have that much oil in there, chances are good that you will need a new clutch. One split and seals only will likely cost in the $1000.00 range at a dealer. If clutch is needed or second split, cost will be considerably higher.

Another thing just occurred to me. It is possible that oil from the leak you had at oil line could have entered the clutch housing. There is a rubber boot under dash where clutch linkage passes through. Chances are good with the age of the tractor, that the boot migh be damaged or missing and oil could have entered there.

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #12  
jd110 very good point about the possible pto linkage boot leaking. If tractor has a button clutch would hyd oil leak in clutch housing be blackish oil?

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #13  
Yes, button clutches still seem to put off black dust. They wear down the pressure plate and flywheel, also the pto disc is always a conventional disc.

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #14  
Oh yes I remember what a slipped button clutch will do to metal such as flywheel & PP.

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak
Not sure what a button clutch is or where this rubber boot is......I'll do some research and see what I can see.

I talked to the mechanic who I would have fix it. Had his own farm mechanic shop for many years. He said it sounded like the input shaft seal also and said he could split it and change the $2 seal if that is what it was. :) Gotta love it. Said it would be about 10 hours, maybe less. And that we would probably need to look at both clutches while we were in there. About $600 in labor, 2 clutches at around $300 each....$1200 sound like a decent price?

Probably have a little machine work and possible a few small parts for the clutch but have to wait and see. And he said the clutches may be fine, but if questionable he would advise changing them while we were in there as there would be hardly any more labor involved once it was open and tore apart.

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #16  
Button clutches has bronze like pads that hold good but aren't suitable for things such as FEL work. To access rubber boot one needs to remove dash panel that both key & light switches are mounted into and look to the left.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 406