Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor?

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #31  
Looking like that $150k is low Brian..... hope you are running LoJack or equiv. on that trailer. (No, I don't expect nor want you to publicly name what you are using).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the big Fords, but a truck is relatively easy to replace.

Costs are brutal. I know of a local garage where the building was bought outright but last I heard they still weren't making money - local business taxes and insurance alone are a killer.

I also have a friend who owns an 8 bay garage. I've seen some of the incoming invoices going through there; even the little incidental shop supplies add up crazy fast.

Rgds, D.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #32  
I really need more truck than the F450, towing 17,000 lbs everyday is tough even on that truck.

But anyway, the point was that mechanics charge what they do because there are a lot of expenses that the casual observer doesn't see.

A business acquaintance of mine said they figured out that they needed to charge 8% of the labor charge to cover the misc. consumables used on a job. The math seems to support that too.

Brian

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #33  
Compressor=$1000, generator=$750.,tire ballast pump=$500, Hydraulic hose crimper and dies =$4000, hydraulic fitting inventory=easy $2-3000.,varied hose inventory=easy $1500 wrenches and air tools maybe up to $10,000 (tractors require 3/4 " sockets and related tools) and to that add all the stock of filters oils and then common rpair parts.
Withe newer tractors you also add electronic diagnosis equipment as well as a complete set of modules for testing.
Then add that mobile unit, be it a large truck or pickup($35K) and HD trailer ($10K)!
In some cases even a laptop would be needed for diagnosis as well as lots of manuals are now on CD's.

And if the service unit is a brand dealer they probably have to attend training sessions at some motel over 4-5 days every 12 months.(think lost billing hours as well as 'away living costs'. of all kinds).
Never mind insurance costs of all kinds.

Hint: for tire repairs, a large truck tire center is best way to go as they have all that HD equipment to handle heavy bulky tires.
In fact, from experience, they will 'flat rate' repairs and or installations. Cost me $45 per rear to pump out, install new rubber and re install fluid. Even included painting inside of rims after wire brushing clean. I was in and out in about 2 hours for very professional service. Mind you I paid for tubes, tires and ballast. In my case I trailed my tractor to the shop but they did offer a road service (think it was $50 per call) but then trucks nearly always need road service so they had 2 service trucks just for that.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #34  
The OP is lucky. I would have REALLY stuck it to him, considering he doesn't consider what another mans time and efforts are worth. Sounds almost like someone that has got a government paycheque all his life!

And when does what the value of the article being repaired or the financial means of the purchaser have any bearing on the costs?

The farmers that farm our place had a flat a couple of falls ago. The kid driving parked it right in the middle of a large mud puddle. Watching the tire service guy, gave me quite a reality check! Not on my worst days, do I have to endure what this man undoubtably does on a daily basis. Cold, wet, dirty, crap encrusted, hard, dangerous, poorly payed work! I mean, how the **** did he manage to get the tube out of that large rear tractor tire while on the tractor? Of course it was filled as well!

Thinking about it, it's probably a good job for a true feminist!

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #35  
The OP is lucky. I would have REALLY stuck it to him, considering he doesn't consider what another mans time and efforts are worth. Sounds almost like someone that has got a government paycheque all his life!

And when does what the value of the article being repaired or the financial means of the purchaser have any bearing on the costs?

The farmers that farm our place had a flat a couple of falls ago. The kid driving parked it right in the middle of a large mud puddle. Watching the tire service guy, gave me quite a reality check! Not on my worst days, do I have to endure what this man undoubtably does on a daily basis. Cold, wet, dirty, crap encrusted, hard, dangerous, poorly payed work! I mean, how the **** did he manage to get the tube out of that large rear tractor tire while on the tractor? Of course it was filled as well!

You know I have got to say you really bring forth the best in a convoluted way, especially "I would have "REALLY" stuck it to him" and than go on to debase his
character insinuating he is a charity case as you state, " almost like someone that has got a government paycheque all his life! " .

Perhaps you should examine yourself before you start your "rock throwing" and try to remember people on this site want to help others with their comments
not tear them apart.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #36  
I had an engine rebuilt at those rates and I considered it a bargain. The gentleman was extremely knowledgeable, detailed and the engine purrs to this day like it is brand new. Avoiding mechanics by doing your own proper maintenance and basic repair is the key. But when you need them, you need them and better to pay a good one than a marginal one in my book.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #38  
Ah, thanks I totally forgot.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #39  

Your comments to the OP are quite harsh, I must say. To me, he doesn't sound like a welfare recipient, he sounds like someone who has worked hard his entire life, being diligent about how he spent his money, and has been priced out of the game. I think this happens to most people eventually. I remember my grandfather, who spent 10 years in the army, then the remaining 30 or so years of his career toiling in a mill only to find that, when he retired, all he could afford was the basic necessities to keep him going. My point? Go easy on him and give him a break. Besides, a guy who 'really sticks it to people' may end up in his position prematurely.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #40  
No one likes to spend the money, and I don't blame you at all. Next time perhaps you can take tire and rim to his shop and probably save $200.