John Deere rear end making noise

/ John Deere rear end making noise #1  

Tractor Beam

Silver Member
I step on the right brake, the tractor turns easily and is silent. However, when I step on the left brake, there is a seriously ugly growling noise in the rear end and I mean it's loud and gritty. My first thought since the planetary gear set, bearings and shaft are totally new, is that the noise is coming from the spider gears? Puzzled though because if it was a loose of damaged spider gear, it would make the noise from either brake being applied. Also seems to make noise when going fast as in high gear and maximum engine RPMs and you just come to a stop going straight. No noise slowing down but just as the tractor stops there's a short burst of loud growl. I'm snowed bad guys. What to do. Tractors parked until I figure it out but it's snowing right now.

/ John Deere rear end making noise #2  
It would help to know what model tractor you're asking about.

/ John Deere rear end making noise
It's a 4005 model

/ John Deere rear end making noise #4  
I'll guess LH brake assembly

Attachments

• MP22377________UN29FEB00.gif
    MP22377________UN29FEB00.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 609
   / John Deere rear end making noise #5  
I step on the right brake, the tractor turns easily and is silent. However, when I step on the left brake, there is a seriously ugly growling noise in the rear end and I mean it's loud and gritty. My first thought since the planetary gear set, bearings and shaft are totally new, is that the noise is coming from the spider gears? Puzzled though because if it was a loose of damaged spider gear, it would make the noise from either brake being applied. Also seems to make noise when going fast as in high gear and maximum engine RPMs and you just come to a stop going straight. No noise slowing down but just as the tractor stops there's a short burst of loud growl. I'm snowed bad guys. What to do. Tractors parked until I figure it out but it's snowing right now.

Curious, you said a bunch of items were replaced, recently? What was the cause of the need to replace them? Did you replace them or did a dealer or independent mechanic? Has the noise occurred since those parts were replaced, or is this something that just began after a time with no noise from the parts replacement?

Curious, you said a bunch of items were replaced, recently? What was the cause of the need to replace them? Did you replace them or did a dealer or independent mechanic? Has the noise occurred since those parts were replaced, or is this something that just began after a time with no noise from the parts replacement?

Yes. To make a long story a bit shorter, we bought the tractor new. I replace the hydraulic oil the first time, I believe it was at 50 hours. Immediately thereafter, I began getting the noise. Not long ago (about two months in fact, I was running gravel and heard a steady thumping sound directly proportionate to my speed coupled with what seemed like my rear implement banging from side to side. I went to push a brush pile when the whole planetary gear set on the right side imploded. The two axel sides were completely disassembled and the right side rebuilt including all bearings shafts etc by the dealer, though I assembled the axels to the machine. Upon completion I took it for the test run but it makes the same noise. I'm leaning toward dumping the tractor and getting something else though I really like the tractor. I just need to be able to depend on the tractor and cannot afford to do $3000 again if this is going to break again. I'm certainly open to your input!

/ John Deere rear end making noise #7  
Yes. To make a long story a bit shorter, we bought the tractor new. I replace the hydraulic oil the first time, I believe it was at 50 hours. Immediately thereafter, I began getting the noise. Not long ago (about two months in fact, I was running gravel and heard a steady thumping sound directly proportionate to my speed coupled with what seemed like my rear implement banging from side to side. I went to push a brush pile when the whole planetary gear set on the right side imploded. The two axel sides were completely disassembled and the right side rebuilt including all bearings shafts etc by the dealer, though I assembled the axels to the machine. Upon completion I took it for the test run but it makes the same noise. I'm leaning toward dumping the tractor and getting something else though I really like the tractor. I just need to be able to depend on the tractor and cannot afford to do $3000 again if this is going to break again. I'm certainly open to your input!

So, the what year? model 4005 JD is still under warranty? Yes? No?
It makes the noises now; how long since the repair was completed?
Why were you replacing the axles, and not the dealer?
Sounds like not everything that needed to be done the first time was done, done correctly or you wouldn't need further work to be done now?
Are you saying you paid $3000 to get it repaired the first time around? If so what guarantee were you given?
Post back answers, please.
You don't have to make the story short- the more info you give the better answers/advice we can give you.

So, the what year? model 4005 JD is still under warranty? Yes? No?
It makes the noises now; how long since the repair was completed?
Why were you replacing the axles, and not the dealer?
Sounds like not everything that needed to be done the first time was done, done correctly or you wouldn't need further work to be done now?
Are you saying you paid $3000 to get it repaired the first time around? If so what guarantee were you given?
Post back answers, please.
You don't have to make the story short- the more info you give the better answers/advice we can give you.

The warranty is long over. I finished putting everything back together 2 weeks ago. I initially tore the rear end apart because I thought it might be the spider gear and that it might be a simple fix plus at the time the rear end went, the whole affair locked up solid, and so I figured it wouldn't be loadable on a trailer and so hence I tore into it myself. Upon seeing the damage, I quickly decided to bring the damaged side as well as the other "good" side to the dealer for repair and examination for further damage. My dealer is fairly far away and didn't want to come out to initiate the installation of the axels. My dealer never implied a warranty nor wrote in a warranty, however, we have thrown a lot of money their way and I believe they would work with us. Another note I wanted to mention is when I brought the axel halves home and peeled the plastic seal off, I immediately realized that the clips that hold the brake disc assembly within the axel until installation on the good axel were missing and that one spring that held the brake actuator in place was off and laying on the axel bottom along with several ball bearings from the brake actuator. Both halves were immediately returned and I insisted that the axels be taken apart once again and redone which did occur.

/ John Deere rear end making noise #9  
So now you still have an inoperable tractor. Can it be trailered back to the dealer without causing further damage?
Have you spoken to your dealer about the current state of the machine?
What would working with you mean from your perspective?
It seems there is no alternative but to take it apart to the point where the problem can be found, yes?
What would you decide if it's going to take several thousand more $ to 'possibly' fix it when the problem is found?

Sorry for the delay. Lots of details in our lives right now! No, it still works fine apart from the noise. I do have the means to get it to the dealer, though I haven't spoken to the folks at the dealership yet. I don't care if it's making this noise so long as there's no damage going on. I'm beginning to think I need to just sell it and buy something else.