JD 5205 wont start in cold

/ JD 5205 wont start in cold #1  

Creede

Help please. I have a 5205 that won't start when it's below freezing. I put in a block heater, have added Power Master fuel additive and a new battery. It turns over, runs a couple of seconds then dies. Any ideas? Thanks

/ JD 5205 wont start in cold #2  
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter.?

/ JD 5205 wont start in cold #3  
I just spent the day fighting this with mine. Condensation collects in the bottom of the tank and freezes to a solid lump of ice that can block the flow of fuel to the fuel filter. Also moisture that the fuel filter has screened out of your fuel will turn to a solid lump when cold and stop the flow of fuel to the injector pump. You need to trouble shoot it all the way from the tank to the injectors. Start by shutting off the fuel inlet to the filter and removing the filter. With it off turn the fuel line back on long enough to see if fuel is freely flowing from the tank. If you have fuel there then install a new fuel filter if yours is more then a year old and use the priming pump and bleed screw to get the air out of the pump, then use the bleed screw on the injector pump and loosinging the fitting where fuel comes from the filter to the injector pump to get air out of that line. Then you should be all set.

/ JD 5205 wont start in cold #4  
Welcome to TBN. And what the guys already said; cold/freezing temps will mess with any water in your tank/lines/filter, etc. Block heater won't get you where you need to be if there's ANY water in the above items.
Post back results, and get some Redline diesel fuel catalyst, it works to turn water molecules into microscopic particles which can be burned by combustion. Switch to winterized fuel wherever you are buying your fuel supply too.

/ JD 5205 wont start in cold #5  
Will not help your current problem, but you might want to consider start winterizing your fuel in late Sept or Oct. At least for me that is the last time I fill up tank until the following year. Also I have driven enough, so it is in the whole system, before it gets cold.

A few years back, I put some John Deere winter additive into my fuel, because I could not seem to get a straight answer if/when they went with number 1 off road diesel for the winter. I noticed not long after it stopped smoking as much when I started it up. I switched to summer conditioner, because it was ス the cost. The tractor continued to smoke less and less to the point that it rarely smokes. It also starts easier now I only have to 吐lick the key and it starts right up even after sitting for 2 weeks. I am sold on using it. Before I go and fill up my 2 5 gallon containers, I put the conditioner in, that way when I am filling the containers I am mixing it and treating the fuel before I put it into my tank.

When replacing the fuel filter, fill it up first before putting on. I have found doing it this way, I do not need to bleed my tractor.

/ JD 5205 wont start in cold
Anticipating that this would happen because it's happened in past winters, I installed a new fuel filter a couple of months ago and bled out the entire fuel system. Lately I've been bleeding water out at the fuel filter after each use, which is normally at least twice a week (when it will start). Yesterday the was a small amount of water, but the temperature was in the 40s, so no problem. I also regularly put an additive into the diesel in 5 gallon containers. I'll try bleeding at the injectors.

/ JD 5205 wont start in cold #7  
so above freezing your fine?? try draining the bottom of the tank out, see if any water comes out, there should be a petcock on the bottom. the quality of your fuel is very important, wherever you get your fuel from should already have anti-gel, but some stations that dont sell alot of fuel will still have "summer" fuel. in mine, when i first got it, i had the same prob, i had changed the fuel filter and while at the dealer, i bought some fuel additive, JD, product. i dumped the whole bottle in and with a battery charger/starter, it finally started. thought i was gonna need a new starter after that but it did start. block heater for around an hour and if your fuel is suspect, additive/antigel from now on. have your hand throttle in the middle position while trying to start, if it does "catch" let the injector pump do its big pull through the supply line. drain your tank!!!

/ JD 5205 wont start in cold #8  
If you have water in the fuel I'm guessing filter(parts key #29) is plugging in temp's below freezing. Drain cock is parts key #10.

Attachments

• LVP4777________UN29OCT03.gif
    LVP4777________UN29OCT03.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 632
   / JD 5205 wont start in cold #9  
Creede:
Don't know if you found the problem but you might try replacing the fuel lines. I have a 5205 & it would die about ten seconds after it started. Did some research here on TBN & someone suggested a cracked rubber fuel line can allow just enough air to have starting problems. I changed mine & it fixed the problem, it's a 2002 so they were due replacement anyway. I know this might not apply to your issue because if it were a fuel line it would be in all weather not just below freezing. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

/ JD 5205 wont start in cold
Ok, it got cold again and the tractor wouldn't start. I cleaned the fuel filter, bled out water, bled the fuel line just before the filter (there was fuel flowing),and bled at the injectors. This is all after buying a brand new JD battery and having the engine heater plugged in. Even at temps just above freezing it didn't want to start. (I remembered working on it last summer when I ran out of diesel fuel, when I didn't get it to start until I filled the fuel tank. ). So, while it was cold, and it didn't want to start I filled the tank as full of diesel as I could, and... After a couple of cranks it started and ran beautifully. However, when the temperature gets below 30, it still won't start. Help! And thanks for all of your suggestions.