2013 3520 keeps dying

/ 2013 3520 keeps dying #1  

NorthPole

Tractor
None
got a new 3520 this year. I am up to a whopping 63 hrs on it. Once in the summer, it sputtered and quit. Seemed odd, started right back up no problems, no repeats for a while. Then it happened again while I was moving the first snow two months ago. It didn't restart right way. Not good since I was in front of my garage door with my truck in it. But after a couple of crank cycles it started, worked fine. Today, it won't stay running for more than couple of minutes. Doesn't matter if it has a load or idling at low speed or high, it goes just fine, then sputters and dies. Seems like it is starved for fuel. But then starts right back up after 4-5...maybe 6 crank cycles. Could there be air getting in the delivery system? Don't smell and fuel around the machine. If the filter were clogged, why would it run again? I've got Standyne Performance additive (4 oz per 15 gallons per the manufacturer's instructions. Just like I've been using in my cummins truck for the last 163,000 miles). It isn't cold, was 10 above today. Got so annoyed, I put it back in the shed. I'll get another fuel filter tomorrow, but I'm not all that confident that's the issue. Any hard core Diesel experts with ideas?

/ 2013 3520 keeps dying #2  
got a new 3520 this year. I am up to a whopping 63 hrs on it. Once in the summer, it sputtered and quit. Seemed odd, started right back up no problems, no repeats for a while. Then it happened again while I was moving the first snow two months ago. It didn't restart right way. Not good since I was in front of my garage door with my truck in it. But after a couple of crank cycles it started, worked fine. Today, it won't stay running for more than couple of minutes. Doesn't matter if it has a load or idling at low speed or high, it goes just fine, then sputters and dies. Seems like it is starved for fuel. But then starts right back up after 4-5...maybe 6 crank cycles. Could there be air getting in the delivery system? Don't smell and fuel around the machine. If the filter were clogged, why would it run again? I've got Standyne Performance additive (4 oz per 15 gallons per the manufacturer's instructions. Just like I've been using in my cummins truck for the last 163,000 miles). It isn't cold, was 10 above today. Got so annoyed, I put it back in the shed. I'll get another fuel filter tomorrow, but I'm not all that confident that's the issue. Any hard core Diesel experts with ideas?

Perhaps you have summer diesel in this? 3520 is a REALLY NICE tractor!!

/ 2013 3520 keeps dying #3  
Everything I've ever owned that died but restarted had a fuel restriction of some sort. Demand creates a dynamic seal against a line filter...whatever.... When the demand ends with shutdown, the restriction eases - until the next time.

/ 2013 3520 keeps dying #4  
Partially blocked fuel supply line that now is mostly blocked. Check any elbows in the fuel line, that's where crud tends accumulate sometimes and in filter housings also. In real bad cases lines could be plugged also.

Does your 3520 have one of those little electric inline fuel pumps? Crud might have accumulated in that also restricting ample fuel flow. I'm not sure if those have a built-in one way valve in them or some sort of screen.

Plugged fuel return line. Sounds nuts but a D-6c dozer I once operated did just as you are describing. Much hair was pulled till that it was found the return line was pinched closed creating the problem.

That's my guesses. Being the tractor is basically new, I would ALMOST rule out any mechanical issues, almost. Its still new enough the dealer you bought it from should not charge you a thing to figger it out. You are not even to the 100 hour break in yet and the tractor does not run correctly.

If it were my tractor, I would be giving my dealer a call. Anything you attempt to do other than maybe change the fuel filter could void your new tractor warranty.

/ 2013 3520 keeps dying #5  
Maybe some debris in your tank that gets sucked to the outlet and causes fuel starvation intermittently. Check it with a flashlight, before you change out your fuel filter.

/ 2013 3520 keeps dying #6  
A friend of mine had the same problem with a new Boomer. It turned out to be plastic shavings from the fuel tank from when the factory installed the tank. Then the dealer tried to bill him for the service call.

/ 2013 3520 keeps dying
I drained out some fuel from the H2O separator, didn't appear to have any water. Although the mechanic at the dealer said they're seeing a lot of that recently. I replaced the cartridge filter and after about 20 crank cycles (making sure to not let the starter get hot, or the battery get drained) it started and ran. I used it to move snow in my yard and my neighbor's yard all "day"...that is the 2.5 hrs of sunlight we have now. I'll start it tomorrow to make sure it is fixed. Supposed to cool off tomorrow night to 35 below zero. I'll not be using the beast in those temps unless I really have to for some reason.

Thanks all and Merry Christmas